1. mollysmate Junior Member

Ireland | English
    What's this? Is it a small cake. Is it a word understood in all Spanish speaking courntries. I went to Spain recently and said Quero eso 'Ponque' por favor and got a puzzled look? But as I was pointing they did pass me the cake! I learned it from a Columbian friend... if this helps.

: gastronomía
  2. Conchita57

Conchita57 Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish - Spain/French - Switzerland
    'Ponque?' That's a new one on me! It sounds as if it might be a 'hispanised' version of 'plum cake'.

3. rocamadour

rocamadour Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    Hi mollysmate! :)
    Did your Columbian friend pronounce it ponqué? I've heard it, too, sometimes, and I suspect it's a sort of "hispanization" of pancake... (I've never heard it in Spain).

EDIT: Sorry for crossing, Conchita!:)

4. mollysmate Junior Member

Ireland | English
    I just had to guess the spelling. But when she's said it we were eating flapjacks and chocolate chip muffins (not both at the same time!)

5. rocamadour

rocamadour Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    Si buscas en Google ponquesitos encontrarás muchas recetas.... :p

6. woolypenguin New Member

chile, spanish
    you're lost guys, ponqué is the spanish (well, spanglish i'd say) for pound cake, not pancake, neither plumcake... though i haven't found where they started using ponque, i can assure you it refers to pound cakes originally, and in colombia and venezuela they do use the term frequently and it's the classical cake for a birthday party.

sorry i know this reply is a little late, but better late than never...

7. Jtemp Senior Member

Mexico, Castellano
    Hola soy de México, y existe la posiblidad que hayas escuchado el "Ponque" pero no es comida ni nada; it´s a misspronunciation that we use, Look it´s like....
    Ponque no quise ir; pero me sentía mal.
    Let´s say I didn´t want to go, but I wasn´t feeling well.

I hope that helps, I know it´s hard to undestand, sorry.

8. CarolMamkny

CarolMamkny Senior Member

New York, NY
    Colombia-Spanish NY-English
    Say what! :eek:

Si por alguna razón dices "ponqué de cumpleaños" en Colombia todo el mundo se reirá en tu cara y te dirán: "No quieres decir más bien "pastel" de cumpleaños" :D

La palabra "ponquecitos" se usa bastante, la palabra "ponqué" se ve como anticuada y la verdad no se la he escuchado a nadie en mucho tiempo .

9. RAZORBLADE Junior Member

Look over your shoulder...
    Colombia, Español
    I'm Colombian, here (in Colombia) we use this word to say cake, but that depends on the region, below you'll find some synonyms to the word "ponqué" = torta, pastel, biscocho, pudín. As I said depending the Colombian place you're in it will work as cake. Just for fun, ask your Colombian friend to explain to you the meaning of "cara de ponqué" (cake face), don't worry it'snt a bad word.:D

10. CarolMamkny

CarolMamkny Senior Member

New York, NY
    Colombia-Spanish NY-English
    Pronounced "Car'e ponqué" :thumbsup:

11. rocamadour

rocamadour Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    ???
    Pero, si mollysmate en su post #1 non ha dicho que se trata de un "small cake"...
    :confused:

12. RAZORBLADE Junior Member

Look over your shoulder...
    Colombia, Español
    No, te confundas, lo que pasa es que ella dijo que se lo habia oido a un Amigo de Colombia, y en Colombia "ponque" es un regionalismo que equivale a cake, ¿ves?

13. Alondra Larsen New Member

Saludos cordiales:

Hasta donde tengo conocimiento ponqué es un pastel, bizcocho , cake o como prefieran llamarlo donde se incorporan las claras de huevo a punto de merengue a la harina de manera envolvente. Esto lo aprendí en un curso de repostearía que tomé en una universidad puertorriqueña. :)

Alondra

14. Alfilito New Member

Español
    la palabra PONQUÉ es un regionalismo, anglicismo colombiano, único de las zona céntrica del país: Cundinamarca y Boyacá. viene de la palabra Inglesa Pound Of Cake. La leyenda dice que ..."hubo un inglés industrioso que decidió ganarse la vida vendiendo tortas. Este señor no hablaba español muy bien, de manera que anunciaba la libra de torta en su idioma, así: a pound of cake, los bogotanos que no entendían mucho de pronunciación inglesa adaptaron la expresión pidiendo más bien un ponqué en lugar de a pound of cake". El idioma puede hacer de la necesidad, virtud.

15. phrisma Junior Member

spanish
    Según el diccionario, Ponqué, Torta de harina, manteca, huevos y azúcar.
    Usualmente para celebrar cumpleaños, muy rico por cierto.

16. fenrry New Member

english
    Wow, I know this is a very old topic but as I was experiencing disappointment today looking for a Ponque in Toronto and decided to check online what it says a Ponque is, btw is Ponqué, the terminology is particular in Colombia, is not the same as a fkn Torta which btw is the same as a cake, so Torta = Cake, now Pound Cake is similar to Ponqué but is not the same, the difference is simple, WINE, all or most of the ingredients used for Ponqué are soaked on wine for a period that can go from hours to days so the flavour is way different, in some cases the finished Ponqué is also soaked on wine, the wine can be normal wine, mostly red wine but also there is a cooking wine that is used for the making of Ponqué, to pick the wine is all about the cook.

Also to note, Ponqué is or could be used on any occasion but mainly used for special ones, for the rest u could eat a cake (torta), also Ponqué can be arranged in many shapes like cakes and another fact, Ponqué doesn't have fruity covers or made of jelly, that's lack of etiquette, Ponqué could be enjoyed with water, soft drinks or wine, depending the situation, so on a birthday party of a 13 y/o u could have some ppl drinking wine and some Coca-Cola, for a wedding most of them Wine or Champagne, kids still drink Coca-Cola out of respect of age, besides Coca-Cola increases the flavour in my concept.

So nop, Ponqué is not the same as Torta nor Cake nor Pound Cake, to call cake a Ponqué is just plain ignorance (lack of knowledge).

Btw, if u want to try Ponqué in the USA or Canada, u could try looking for Colombian food stores or latin food stores where u could look for what is called "Ponqué Negro Ramo" made by "Ramo", I know some places sell it, it comes in a red box, around the size of an Xbox...well maybe a bit smaller for the out of Colombia market :)

17. gtode New Member

Spanish
    I lived in Venezuela for 25 years; there and in Colombia a "Ponqué" refers to a Pound Cake. i have not heard, as referenced below, that a "Ponqué" is soaked in wine or any other liquor. Cakes soaked in any alcoholic beverage are called "Torta Borracha" (Drunken Cake).

18. Galathil Senior Member

Venezuela
    Español
    Yo también vivo en Venezuela y siempre se les ha llamado ponqué a un Pound Cake, como dices en tu post. Tampoco he escuchado que se les remoje en vino.

SyC.

19. leliela New Member

Spanish-Colombia
    It is not ignorance to call ponqué all kinds of cake and whatnots. There are many ways to call a cake in Colombia, it is also known as "torta" and for example in the north coast it's called "budín". I am Colombian and I, as well as most people I know call all kinds of cake ponqué, but the most popular term I hear is torta. What you are describing is a "ponqué negro" (literally, black cake) also known as wedding cake (though not as popular on weddings lately), named after it's color given by the panela. Of course one thing is the homemade one and a vey different one is the store bought by the brand Ramo. And depending on the region and personal taste it can be moist or dry and it can include dried fruits and nuts. But a simple yellow cake can be a ponqué too (ponqué blanco), as well as a chocolate cake (ponqué de chocolate).