1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Pop it like a hood

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Shy1986, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Shy1986 Senior Member

Parma
    Italiano (Italia)
    Hi everybody,

I have an hard question for you. I can't understand how translate this "pop it like a hood". Here it is:

Gimme something good
    Don't wanna wait I want It now
    Pop It like a hood
    And show me how you work It out

Dammi qualcosa di buono
    Non voglio aspettare lo voglio ora
    Pop it like a hood
    E mostrami come lo fai funzionare

I found that pop it is a slang that means to ejaculate or to insert. Pop like a hood=aprirsi come un cofano.

I really don't understand. Help me please.

Thanks

2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    To pop the hood significa aprire il cofano, ovvero mostrare quello che c'è dentro.
    Per esteso mostrare o far vedere o rivelare qualcosa.

3. Lorena1970

Lorena1970 Senior Member

Italy, Italiano
  4. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    Howdy,

I've looked around a bit and I think I found enough information to help a little.
    Apparently in the video she is watching someone dance, and thus some interpretations have stated that it refers to a dance movement - particularly of the "posterior" part of the body.:)

When you "pop" the hood of a car, a small movement of a lever leads to a sharp, abrupt movement of the hood upward.

So literally, it is "Aprilo come una capotte/cofano" (as stated above) but more figurately it would be something like "muovilo veloce come si apre il cofano":)
    or better yet, something "slang" and "young" about which I would know...niente.:D

5. Lorena1970

Lorena1970 Senior Member

Italy, Italiano
    Tim...ehm...being a woman speaking, couldn't it refer to the male attribute...???

6. Shy1986 Senior Member

Parma
    Italiano (Italia)
    Tim do you refer to penis?

Could I translate with "infilalo come un cappuccio/preservativo"??

I found in a rap forum that pop it means "infilare"

7. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    I'm not really sure, none of the sites I've looked at have been anatomically specific.:)

I'm guessing it's just a rapid movement of a part of the body, maybe the butt.

8. Shy1986 Senior Member

Parma
    Italiano (Italia)
    So I cannot translate this metaphor XD

Anyway...thank you so much

9. Tunalagatta Moderator

Blighty
    English - England
    It probably has something to do with "body-popping", a kind of writhing-but-jerky-at-the-same-time dance style (as Tim has already suggested).

I wouldn't normally associate a car hood with exciting and funky dance moves. Perhaps it isn't meant to be that deep and meaningful (what? Britney Spears not deep and meaningful?!)/isn't a common collocation, and is there to rhyme conveniently with "good".

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011