Pop it like a hood

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Shy1986, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Shy1986 Senior Member

Italiano (Italia)
    Hi everybody,

I have an hard question for you. I can't understand how translate this "pop it like a hood". Here it is:

Gimme something good
    Don't wanna wait I want It now
    Pop It like a hood
    And show me how you work It out

Dammi qualcosa di buono
    Non voglio aspettare lo voglio ora
    Pop it like a hood
    E mostrami come lo fai funzionare

I found that pop it is a slang that means to ejaculate or to insert. Pop like a hood=aprirsi come un cofano.

I really don't understand. Help me please.

2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    To pop the hood significa aprire il cofano, ovvero mostrare quello che c'è dentro.
    Per esteso mostrare o far vedere o rivelare qualcosa.
  3. Lorena1970

Lorena1970 Senior Member

Italy, Italiano
  4. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US

I've looked around a bit and I think I found enough information to help a little.
    Apparently in the video she is watching someone dance, and thus some interpretations have stated that it refers to a dance movement - particularly of the "posterior" part of the body.:)

When you "pop" the hood of a car, a small movement of a lever leads to a sharp, abrupt movement of the hood upward.

So literally, it is "Aprilo come una capotte/cofano" (as stated above) but more figurately it would be something like "muovilo veloce come si apre il cofano":)
    or better yet, something "slang" and "young" about which I would know...niente.:D
  5. Lorena1970

Lorena1970 Senior Member

Italy, Italiano
    Tim...ehm...being a woman speaking, couldn't it refer to the male attribute...???
  6. Shy1986 Senior Member

Italiano (Italia)
    Tim do you refer to penis?

Could I translate with "infilalo come un cappuccio/preservativo"??

I found in a rap forum that pop it means "infilare"
  7. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    I'm not really sure, none of the sites I've looked at have been anatomically specific.:)

I'm guessing it's just a rapid movement of a part of the body, maybe the butt.
  8. Shy1986 Senior Member

Italiano (Italia)
    So I cannot translate this metaphor XD

Anyway...thank you so much
  9. Tunalagatta Senior Member

English - England
    It probably has something to do with "body-popping", a kind of writhing-but-jerky-at-the-same-time dance style (as Tim has already suggested).

I wouldn't normally associate a car hood with exciting and funky dance moves. Perhaps it isn't meant to be that deep and meaningful (what? Britney Spears not deep and meaningful?!)/isn't a common collocation, and is there to rhyme conveniently with "good".
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011