Por lo que no se entiende

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by thechap, Nov 2, 2007.

1. thechap Junior Member

English, UK
    How would I translate this into Spanish?? The sentence is:

"Nuestra opinion publica esta, sin duda, mas preocupada por si Espana se rompe o no, por lo que no se entiende bien que alguien quiera apuntarse, aunque sea de la familia"

I f anyone could help me out with the whole sentence it would be greatly appreciated as I am a bit stuck!

Here is my attempt:

"Our public opinion is, without a doubt, more worried about whether Spain will break or not, for that which it doesn't understand well is that someone wants to enrol, although it is family"

????? I don't understand it at all!

2. belén

belén Ex-Moderator

Spain
    Spanish, Spain, Catalan, Mallorca
    Hello chap!
    Do you happen to have more context? I understand the words and you have translated it properly, but the truth is that it is really difficult to guess what they are talking about without more information...

3. thechap Junior Member

English, UK
    It is from an article which talks about the debate on the union of Spain and Portugal. The previous sentence is:

"Jose Saramago has relaunched the recurrinf debate on the union of Portugal and Spain to form the Iberian Union".

Thanks!

4. Hella

Hella Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish - Spain
    My suggestion:

"Our public opinion is, without a doubt, more worried about whether Spain will break or not, so it is difficult to imagine that someone would like to join (the group/the nation?), even if it is a close relative"
    I think that's the idea: Spain has to many problems so our close neighbours from Portugal prefer to stay away....

5. thechap Junior Member

English, UK
    Thank you!