1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Por qué estaré/estoy aquí (future/present tense)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by jcomunica, Jan 25, 2013.

1. jcomunica

jcomunica Senior Member

Please could someone help me understand how the future tense is sometimes used to express notions in the present as in 'Por qué demonios estaré ____'
    Trying to think of equivalent uses in English

This translation turned up in a thread on 'I might as well'
    This class is so bad I might as well not be here.
    ¡Esta clase es tan mala! ¿Por qué estaré aquí?

This has led to my being told that the structure is often used this way:

"Por qué demonios estaré xxxx
    Ej: Por qué demonios estaré haciendo esto grrrrrrr....... con el trabajo que tengo y estoy perdiendo el tiempo con esto
    Ej: Por qué demonios habré venido a esta fiesta! vaya aburrimiento

Ej: Por qué (demonios) no habrá llamado? es muuuuy extraño
    Ej: Por qué me habrá dicho esto? quizá está insinuando algo

any translations or explanations very much welcomed, gracias de antemano

2. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

3. jcomunica

jcomunica Senior Member

thanks,
    well yes, how could things be how they are not? :confused:

4. juan082937 Senior Member

español
    This translation turned up in a thread on 'I might as well'
    This class is so bad I might as well not be here.
    ¡Esta clase es tan mala! ¿Por qué estaré aquí?

Esta clase es tan mala que bien podría no estar aquí. (conjecture) it is better to use the conditional ( hypothetical future)

<<: Por qué demonios estaré haciendo esto grrrrrrr....... con el trabajo que tengo y estoy perdiendo el tiempo con esto

This sentence is a future related with a present progressive moment ( your work is moving towards the future in the time line) and estoy perdiendo el tiempo the moment of utterance, also we HAVE to recall that the present has future connotations as well.( the situation you are working now) and your complaining is after working now -> future.

Ej: Por qué demonios habré venido a esta fiesta! vaya aburrimiento
    (future perfect in the FUTURE time line it is a time before feeling boring in the future time line.

Por qué diablos no habrá llamado ( Future perfect) time before you utter your surprise at the future time line.

the same with Por qué me habrá dicho esto (future perfect), quizás está insinuando algo ( same reasoning).

The future in the time line is forward. The only future from the past as a hypothetical utterance is the conditional.

5. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    The future tense is also used to express wonder or probability in the present state.

-¿Quién será ella?
    -I wonder who she is? (Who could she be?)

-Estará viajando solo.
    -He is probably travelling alone.

6. juan082937 Senior Member

español
    Present has Future connotations in both languages.
    Future has a PROBABILTY sense as you well stated it in direct or indirect questions : ¿Serán las 10AM ? ¿ estará viajando solo?
    But always the TIME LINE is forward.

7. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Belgium
    Dutch - Belgium
    Hola Juan,

Pero no es necesario que aparezca en una pregunta, que sea directa o indirecta, ¿no?.

Si yo pregunto: "¿Dónde está Pepe?", es posible que me contesten: "Estará en la oficina" y esto no siginifica que va estar en la oficina en el futuro; significa que mi interlocutor supone que Pepe está en la oficina ahora mismo pero sin estar seguro al 100%.

8. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    Concuerdo. Tenemos el mismo uso en inglés:
    -Where's Peter?
    -He'll be in the office.
    No future intended - quiere decir: 'He's probably inthe office' / 'He must be in the office' even 'I presume he's in the office'. There is certainly a slight degree of uncertainty, but I don't see a future connotation.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  9. jcomunica

jcomunica Senior Member

I wouldn't say that means there is always a 'probably' involved, that the future tense is used here because when you do meet him, that event will be in the future.

-Where's Peter?
    -He'll be in the office. (he is in the office.. and that's where the event of you encountering him will occur)

Unless it's:
    -He'll be in the office? with a questioning intonation. That means 'maybe' he's in the office.. he usually is in the office after all, isn't he!

but then this one would mean 'maybe(with the questioning intonation) and means probably without it just as it is.

-Estará viajando solo.
    -He is probably travelling alone.