1. dcinsur Junior Member

enlish-USA
    what does "por su puesto" mean & when would you use it?
    dc

2. saemon

saemon Senior Member

"Por supuesto" means "of course", so it is used the same way.

3. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    You are correct sir.

Also, note that literally this is "for supposed."

Also, don't make the mistake I did. "Presupuesto" (pre-supposed) is another way of saying "estimate."

Por supuesto, necesito el presupuesto antes de comencer el proyecto.

4. victoria luz

victoria luz Senior Member

lecce
    italy
    Just an addition:
    Dar (algo) por supuesto = to assume/ to take (sth) for granted

Bye
    Vic

5. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México
    México - Español/Castellano
    Hi dc:

Welcome to the forums. Please provide some context, as both por supuesto and por su puesto can be correct, but their meanings are totally different:

Por supuesto que me gusta lo que hago --> Of course I like what I do
    Juan fue por su puesto a la bodega --> Juan went to get his stand at the warehouse
    Le preguntaron por su puesto en la empresa en que trabaja --> They asked her about her position in the company where she works

Greetings

6. shyguy84 Senior Member

Edinburgh, Scotland. A chilly place!!
    English, United Kingdom
    How to say "of course not", as in answering a question like, "Are you mad at me", the reply being "of course not"?
    Muchas gracias

7. Tlamatini Junior Member

Nebraska
    USA - English
    Id say Claro que no, or if you still want to use por supuesto, por supuesto que no

8. Tlamatini Junior Member

Nebraska
    USA - English
    although come to think of it por supuesto que no doesnt make sense.

9. pguerra Senior Member

Paraná, Entre Ríos, Argentina
    Spanish [Argentina]
    Why not?

10. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    Tamatini, as this is a language forum, focusing on use of language, where threads are saved for all eternity (at least for a long time), and not a chat room, which is more like a cocktail party conversation, it is requested that "foreros" try to pay attention to minimal standards of correct writing, both in Spanish and English. One reason is that English abbreviations which may be obvious to you ("u" for 'you", for example, or the equivalents in Spanish) will be confusing and misleading to someone whose first language is different.

Please pay attention to capitalization and some minimal punctuation. I have made some changes to your entry, as an example. Por supuesto, this is not the only possible way to punctuate it, but an example. This is jnot an English test, but some use of commas, or other punctuation of your choice, to set off ideas, and italics or quotation marks, where appropriate, is helpful.

Thanis.

Part II
    Por supuesto que sí, por supuesto que no, claro que sí, claro que no, creo que sí, espero que sí, etc.are construction patterns that do make sense if your first language is Spanish, but may just seem funny to you at first if not. By the same token, if you grew up speaking Spanish, hearing Of course not would probably sound funny.

11. gazsa82 New Member

English - England
    @JB 7 years too late, for sure..... Or is that por supesto? or porsupesto? We need to be right, as this is saved for all eternity. Pity, that you're not using the original capitalisation and you've prefered to use the American variation of English with the Z instead of the S.

So, can anyone help me directly & without being anal? What is the right translation of por supesto and what is the best / difference to write it.

Can you please define 'foreros' as 7 years on I still don't see it as an entry in the OED or whichever mongrel dictionary you make up.

Finally WTF is "This is jnot an English test" #justsaying "as this is a language forum, focusing on use of language, where threads are saved for all eternity (at least for a long time), and not a chat room, which is more like a cocktail party conversation, it is requested that "foreros" try to pay attention to minimal standards of correct writing, both in Spanish and English" #helpusout coño