Portuguese/Brazilian accent in Spanish

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by Ayazid, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Ayazid Senior Member

Olá pessoal!

After reading of similar thread about American accent in Portuguese surgiu me a idéia de criar um semelhante sobre sotaque português em espanhol. How Brazilian or Portuguese speaking Spanish sounds like? Is there anything in his/her accent which betrays his/her origin? Are there any differences between Spanish accent of Portuguese and Brazilian people, taking in consideration vast differences in pronunciation between these 2 variants of Portuguese language?

2. Joca

Joca Senior Member

Florianópolis, Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    In terms of European Spanish, what basically betrays that you are a Brazilian is the pronunciation of intervocal B, intervocal D and intervocal G. In particular, intervocal D in Spanish, as you know, sounds like English TH as in THIS. Most Brazilians will pronounce like D as in DID, unless they know Spanish very well and are very careful about their pronunciation.

Actually, many Brazilians think they are speaking Spanish when they are in fact speaking "portunhol", a mixture of Portuguese and Spanish aimed at being perceived as Spanish.

3. ronanpoirier

ronanpoirier Senior Member

Porto Alegre
    Brazil - Portuguese
    I can do intervocal B/V and D but I can't do intervocal G. :-S But everybody tells me I have a strong accent while speaking Spanish. I think that's hot. xD

4. Jeromed Banned

USA, English
    Also, Brazilians find it difficult to differentiate between the Spanish double-r sound and the j sound. it's a nightmare for them to pronounce the word rojo, and to distinguish the difference between correr and coger.

Brazilians, try saying the following: Se rajó el jarrón rojo de Rogelio Jarrés.

5. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    For a European Portuguese accent in Spanish, you need to look no further than José Saramago, who in spite of having moved to Spain decades ago still has an embarassingly thick accent.

6. Alandria Senior Member

Brasil - São Paulo
    Português
    No, the alveolar trill sounds easy for brazilians. It's a common sound in radio transmissions and southern brazil.

7. Jeromed Banned

USA, English
    What is the alveolar trill? The r sound in Spanish caro or the one in Spanish carro?
    What do you mean by "sounds easy for Brazilians"? Is easy for Brazilians to pronounce?
    What do you mean by "radio transmissions"? Radio broadcasts, or short-wave radio transmissions?
    Do all Brazilians come from southern Brazil?

8. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Yes, Alandria, but the problem is alternating it with the Spanish guttural "j".

9. Jeromed Banned

USA, English
    Exactly. Rojo is usually pronounced as Sp. rorro, jojo or even jorro by Brazilians.

10. ronanpoirier

Porto Alegre
    Brazil - Portuguese
    xD OMG! I had to train like 10 times before I got it right!

Attached Files:

11. Jeromed Banned

USA, English
    Very good, but I can tell you're not a native speaker.
    So, do you agree with Alandria that it's easy?

Another difference is the use of open e and o, which Spanish doesn't have*.

Spanish speakers can hear "something different" when they hear the open vowels, but they cannot pinpoint what it is.

*Except in certain dialects, where they're really allophonic variants of the close sounds.

12. ronanpoirier

Porto Alegre
    Brazil - Portuguese
    Are you talking to/about me? ó.ó Because if you are, then you should say "gaúcho", since I'm a boy.
    :)

And, yeah, I've been told I don't sound as a native. And I don't even want to, since, as I said, I think a foreign accent sounds hot. :p

I was on the bus today and I was thinking of this thread.
    I was thinking of the weird things made by lusophones when speaking Spanish.
    This is what I could think:

- "v" = /v/;
    - intervocal "b" = /b/;
    - in tervocal "v" = /b/;
    - "s" before voiced consonant = /z/ (I know this happens in some dialects);
    - "ll" = /lh/. (I know it's still used in Phillippines and some lost cities in America);
    - unstressed "a" = /â/;
    - pronounce "o" and "e" as open vowels, instead of closed ones;
    - "ch" = /sh/;
    - final "o" = /u/;
    - nasalize syllabes that end by "n" or "m";
    - intervocal "g" = /g/ (Actually I can't hear a difference, between regular strong "g" and intervocal one :( ).

I couldn't think of anything else. I know some of those are made in some dialects and stuff, and sometimes it may change according to situation and blah, blah, blah.

:)

13. Jeromed Banned

USA, English
    I had already corrected my post. I was talking about Alandria, who is actually from Espirito Santo, not RGS.

You've pretty much covered everything, except for that Brazilian habit of adding an i sound at the end of words that end in a consonant.

And yes, a foreign accent can sound hot in Spanish. It just needs to be comprehensible first (which yours definitely is, by far).

14. ronanpoirier

Porto Alegre
    Brazil - Portuguese
    Ah! Another thing: Brazilian "nh" is a nasal glide, not a palatal "n" as in Portugal. So, Brazilian speakers tend to pronounce Spanish "ñ" as a nasal glide. :)

15. JGreco Senior Member

Citizen of the World
    Native of: English, Portuguese (oral) , and Spanish (oral)

Nasal glide with the "ñ" sound does exist in Caribbean accents in Spanish. The word "caña" in Spanish in Caribbean for example would be " cahng-nya". Also some words that would end in "n" in Caribbean Spanish also sound nasal and are similar to the "-em" or "-om" ending pronunciation in Br.Portuguese.

16. avok

avok Senior Member

I think you forgot to mention the best one "the final l" and the "dark l" in brazilian and continental portuguese.

And also, one thing....When speaking Spanish,the Brazilians dont roll their r's as strong as Spanish speakers.

17. beccar San

beccar San Junior Member

Aachen, Deutschland
    Castellano, Bolivia [Oriental]
    Los sonidos que a mi parecer traicionan a los lusófonos al intentar hablar castellano sin acento, son los nasales y como ya mencionaron, la erre vibrante alveolar múltiple y su alternancia con la jota seca.

Slds.:)