1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Portuguese Pronounciation

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by aedude94, Feb 3, 2007.

1. aedude94 Senior Member

Michigan
    English United States
    Hi! I am trying to learn Portuguese and have a few concerns about the pronounciation of certain things. I speak Spanish and English, so a lot of Portuguese seems easy to learn, but the pronounciation is what is hard, but it is also my favorite part of the langauge! I love how Portuguese sounds! But I have a few questions. First, if I pronounce the "di" and end "de" sounds like a "gee" sound in English (like in sponGY), will I be understood where that sound is not made? Also, same questions with the "ti" and end "te". How does a final m or n affect the pronouciation of vowels? Is this similar to French, the nasal sounds there? Because I also know a bit of French, so any comparison could help. Finally, my really important questions, is R really pronounced as an English H? Well, at the beginning of words? How about at the end of words? Every verb (besides the verb for "to put" and its derivitives) ends in a R, so does that mean the ending of verbs are never pronounced as an R and only as an H? When do you pronounce the R as an English R? Thanks so much!!!

2. Alandria Senior Member

Brasil - São Paulo
    Português
  3. MOC Senior Member

Portugal
    Portuguese
    All of those things you refered are related to Brazilian Portuguese, which is ok if it's what you're aiming for. None of those applies in Portugal Portuguese.

4. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Hello, welcome to the forum. :)

I live in such a region, and I would say yes.

Again, no problem if you pronounce them as "chee".

In Portuguese, nasal vowels at the end of words are usually indicated by adding an -m (or -ns in the plural). Generally, the situation is similar to French, with two important exceptions:

1. Traditionally, Portuguese had no words ending in -n, but some have appeared in scientific jargon recently. Their pronunciation varies. It seems to me that in Portugal the -n tends to be fully pronounced, and does not nasalize the vowel, while in Brazil it tends to be read as though it were an -m.
    2. The endings -am and -em (-ens in the plural) are not only nasal, but they are also diphthongs. You can listen to their pronunciation here, and you can see the phonetic representation in the page Alandria linked to. So, -am is not a plain nasal "a". To represent a nasal "a" at the end of words, we use (plural -ãs). The ending -êm has a special pronunciation in some dialects. In others, it's pronounced just like -em.

In many Brazilian dialects, yes. But the pronunciation of the "strong" R* varies considerably between dialects. We've had a couple of threads about this, but I'm not sure I can find one. Here's a good summary.

* As in Spanish, most Portuguese dialects have two kinds of R; the other one is a flap, just like the Spanish "r" in pero.

The verb "to put" also ends with an -r: pôr. :)

You will often notice that colloquially people don't pronounce the final -r of infinitives (falar becomes falá, and so on). This is particularly common in Brazil.

The English R, which is an approximant, only exists in the Brazilian caipira dialect, where it's used after vowels. Most Portuguese dialects do not have it.

5. Macunaíma

Macunaíma Senior Member

Um ninho de mafagalfinhos
    português, Brasil
    That's a wrong perception and you shouldn't try to speak like that. We actually pronounce the R, very slightly, by letting air out through our throats. You will notice that when you hear a Brazilian speaking softly, slowly or singing. Falah, not falá; amoh, not amô; ah ( ar, air), not á, and so on.

I suggest you listen to a lot of Brazilian music to get the hang of it. Why not get started here ?

Cheers!

6. ryba

ryba Senior Member

Hi, aedude94.

Here you've got two links to discussions concerning different kinds of pronunciation of R:

A letra R

Pronouncing the R like in Rodar

There might have been more discussions, just use the search.:)
    [SIZE=-1]
    [/SIZE]

7. edupa Senior Member

Brazil Portuguese
    Macu,

I'm inclined to agree with you as for the very soft flow of air that in general Brazilian dialect has replaced letter 'r' in the position being discussed.

Not sure though if songs are a good basis of comparison, as singing, like TV and radio achoring/narration, is a studied affair and singers are more often than not super careful as to how they pronounce the words they sing, to the point of training that. It's not at all spontaneous, you know.

By the way, Marisa Monte is what one would call a gooddess!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Abraços!

8. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Hi. I understand what you are saying, and maybe you're right, but I would question your objection a little further. Is it possible that in careful pronunciation the final -r is pronounced [h], but colloquially it (often) simplifies to zero?

By the way, my description is not based only on Brazilian Portuguese. Although not as frequent here, the Portuguese sometimes drop the final -r, too.

9. Macunaíma

Macunaíma Senior Member

português, Brasil
    That's exactly why I suggested he learned from singers. When he comes to speak spontaneously, he will not make the gross mistake of not pronouncing the h sound at all.

A Goddess, a diva, no doubt. And she was only 21 at the time of that footage!

10. Macunaíma

Macunaíma Senior Member

português, Brasil
    Yes, I can do it myself when I speak really fast, but it is not so often as foreign ears might assume. That's not the case when we speak at a normal pace. Ask a Brazilian to drop the h sound and you will immediately notice the difference. Moreover, foreign speakers don't usually speak so fast, so they'd better train the h sound carefully if they don't want to sound funny.

11. ronanpoirier

ronanpoirier Senior Member

Porto Alegre
    Brazil - Portuguese
    Why not speaking the final position R like in Spanish? That'd be easier since you speak Spanish. That's the pronunciation in Portugal and South of Brazil (including São Paulo, where the caipira pronunciation is not used). And it's kinda annoying to me, and I repeat, TO ME, the pronunciation of a final position R as /h/ or /x/.

So I'd tell you to pronounce initial R (both words and syllabe) and RR as your H and final position R (both words and syllabe) and intervocalic R as Spanish R.
    By the way, we'd NEVER drop the final R in the inifinitive of the verbs "pôr and "vir"... although we do that for other verbs in infinitive... The reason? Don't ask me. That's the way things are. ^^

PS.: I've noticed that in Santa Catarina seashore, there are the three final position R pronunciation: like in Spanish, like English H and like English R (the caipira pronunciation). And I've listened to people who made the three sounds at the same sentence!!!

PS².: My English is bad today. o_O

12. edupa Senior Member

Brazil Portuguese

The flat intervocalic 'r' is a common feature of dialects from all over the state of São Paulo, including the city of São Paulo, especially, but not only, the area surrounding the city's midtown area.

This retroflex 'r' pronounced in the city of São Paulo is not as sharp as the caipira 'r', but it can get quite strong and noticeable as one goes closer to São Paulo's outskirts.

Natives of São Paulo's midtown area (myself included) may at times produce a very soft variation of the retroflex 'r' in their speech. Speakers of that midtown dialect who happen to get "caught" producing such stigmatized sound will readily claim that it was just a "slip of the tongue"

:D

Abraços

13. ronanpoirier

ronanpoirier Senior Member

Porto Alegre
    Brazil - Portuguese
    Sorry, I think I didn't make myself clear. I meant that where the caipira pronunciation is not used in São Paulo, the /r/ is used instead. :)

14. edupa Senior Member

Brazil Portuguese

Yes, the São Paulo city dialect is quite a different one altogether, you're absolutely right!

:)

15. edupa Senior Member

Brazil Portuguese

Check this vid for something a little closer to spontaneous production of final 'r' in infinitive form of verbs, as found in the youth dialect of midtown São Paulo city (including the guy hosting the video).

I redded several R's where pertinent in the transcription below. Note how final 'r' in words other than verbs, such as qualquer, may at times also be rendered with a soft flow of air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqx38342cXc

0:11 > Que quer dizer Le Parkour?

0:51 > Eu vi esse murinho, eu comecei a ficar preocupado.

1:00 > Não. Nem sempre é fácil. Mas a gente ultrapassa. Não tem que ser fácil, nem tem que ser tão difícil.

1:14 > Saltar carro?

1:22 > Passa por cima, passa por dentro, entra pela janela, sai pela outra. O negócio é sair fora.

1:28 > Tá. Ninguém vai contar pra ela.

1:39 > Mas que carro? No trânsito, 'inda mais nesse trânsito da cidade de São Paulo, pra que usar carro? A gente pode ir cortando caminho, pulando muro, saltando carro, pulando casa. Não precisa mais de carro, não. O Parkour veio pra acabar com isso

1:51 > Sim. Dependendo do seu nível. Dependendo do que você é capaz de fazer.

1:55 > Eu acho legal essa liberdade que os movimentos do esporte dão pra gente, que a gente consegue interagir em qualquer lugar. Qualquer lugar pra gente agora é um lugar pra brincar, pra se divertir. Qualquer monumento é obstáculo.

2:50 > Que que esses caras vão aprontar?

3:13 > O pessoal da França – não tem o que falar. Tem muita gente fazendo isso.

3:37 > Mas a gente tenta evitar o máximo quando é...ir em lugar particular, pra não sujar, pra não destruir nada.

3:50 > Eu vou falar com a sua mãe, hein?

4:03 > Bom, gente. Treinar - tudo bem. Agora, sair correndo pela cidade fazendo isso...Ah...Eu vou precisar de um bom motivo. Ah, vou...

4:35 > Ah... Agora, sim. Depois de resgatar o microfone, eu encerro a matéria. Acho que deu pra dar uma evoluída, né?

16. aedude94 Senior Member

Michigan
    English United States
    THANKS so much everyone! You've all been a great help! Obrigado! ;)

17. aedude94 Senior Member

Michigan
    English United States
    I have another quick question about pronounciation. Ok, first, is "o" as in the direct object pronounced "oo" or "oh" or maybe even "aw"? I thought it was "oo" but one of my books has the pronounciation being as "oh". Then, is "os" pronounced "oos" or "ohs"? I think "oos" but I am not really sure. Also, is an "e" at the end of words always / most of the time or just sometimes prounouced as a "ee" sound? Is "o que" pronounced "oo kee" or "oh kay"? And is "quem" prounounced "kame" or "keem" or "kem"? Thanks so much! I just want to improve my Portuguese (I am learning Brazillian by the way). Thanks so much!

18. edupa Senior Member

Brazil Portuguese

word > pronunciation

o > oo [not only the one used as article or direct object, but also final -o in such words as motivo, monumento, muro, carro, all found in the transcription I posted above]

os > oos [not only the one used as article or direct object, but also final -os in words ]

final '-e' > (often) -ee

o que > oo kay

quem > kaying

Boa sorte!

19. aedude94 Senior Member

Michigan
    English United States
    Obrigado muito! :)

20. edupa Senior Member

Brazil Portuguese

De nada!

Mas a gente na verdade diz 'muito obrigado' (e não *obrigado muito*)

:)

Abraços

21. ryba

ryba Senior Member

A fonética dos artigos
    Lol. Portuguese phonetics ain't easy, man.:D

I have a bunch of questions and I don't know whether or not to start a new thread.. *Thinking* Well, here they go:

The guy, when pronouncing "Dependendo" doesn't nasalize the "en" parts. Is it because of sloppiness or a is it a caracteristical trait of the sotaque he speaks in?:confused:

When he pronounces não, it sometimes sounds more like a nasal "ou" diphtong than a nasal "au", becoming quite similar to english "no.".. The same question as above..

I'm sorry for putting these questions here, I probably should have read the threads about the brazilian sotaques/accents carefully first...

22. edupa Senior Member

Brazil Portuguese
    The en pronunciation you spotted in dependendo is one of the most prominent features of the São Paulo City accent. It's also one of the features most mocked at by outsiders.

Unlike most parts of Brazil, the -en- combination words such as dependendo in São Paulo receive a strong dyphthong sound -ey-:

de-pen-den-do
    /de-peyn-DEYN-doo/

Ok, here goes the typical phrase outsiders use to pick on paulistanos (natives/residents of the city of São Paulo). See pronunciation below.

Não estou entendendo > (Não tô entendendo)

[noom toh een-teyn-DEYN-doo]

It means I don't understand / I don't get it

Ryba,

In everyday Brazilian Portuguese, negative não is basically rendered in two ways:

A. /noom/ or /noo/

> When used in the middle of a sentence. Example:

>> Eu não sei.

B. /nãu/ [-ão sounds roughly like oun in "ounce"]

> When used in final position or on its own, generally as a reply.

>> Ela disse não.

>> "Você viu?"
    "Não"

It follows pretty much the same behavior as the American pronunciation of modal verb can.

You can hear the two não's in the underlined sentence from the transcription of the youtube vid below:

1:39 > Mas que carro? No trânsito, 'inda mais nesse trânsito da cidade de São Paulo, pra que usar carro? A gente pode ir cortando caminho, pulando muro, saltando carro, pulando casa. Não precisa mais de carro, não. O Parkour veio pra acabar com isso

Feel free to ask

Abraços

23. ryba

ryba Senior Member

Muito obrigado, edupa!

Muito interessante. É bastante parecido com isso que a gente faz por cá, em Polônia com a nossa nasal "[SIZE=-1]ę[/SIZE]":

[SIZE=-1]ę => en (mais ou menos)[/SIZE]

por ex.: w[SIZE=-1]ędka em teoria se pronuncia /v[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ędka/, mas na realidade falamos quase /ventka/.

Quando procedido de velares "k" e "g", [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ę => eŋ ("ŋ" like in english "bank" /bæ[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ŋk/)

por ex.: w[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ęgorz /v[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ęgo[/SIZE][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ʒ[/FONT][/FONT][SIZE=-1]/ => /ve[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ŋgo[/SIZE][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ʒ/[/FONT][/FONT]

Acontece isso no português de São Paulo? Ou seja, há uma assimilação semelhante?

Isto é, algo como: engordar /ey[SIZE=-1]ŋgordár/ e encadear /ey[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]ŋkadeár/??

Um abraço.
    [/SIZE]

24. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Quer dizer dissimilação... :)
    Assimilação é o que é a nasalização. ;)

25. ryba

ryba Senior Member

Haha, sim:), mas, se não estou enganado, é/será (?) também (de ponto de vista paulistano) uma assimilação, velarização, do som /n/ antes de consoante velar:
    /n/ => /[SIZE=-1]ŋ/[/SIZE]

26. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Ah sim, entendo. :thumbsup:

27. MOC Senior Member

Portugal
    Portuguese
    Está neste momento uma concorrente da Bahia no Um Contra Todos (programa da TV).

Vou apanhar o sotaque. :D

EDIT: Eu sei que ninguém perguntou nada. Peço desculpa. :eek:

28. Pedrovski Senior Member

English, Portuguese
    Lol, também vi isso ontem:p . Aliás foi a única razão que me fez parar e ver o programa na tv durante um bocado. O apresentador continua com as trapalhadas características dele como é habitual.

29. kurumin

kurumin Senior Member

salvador bahia brasil, brazilian portuguese & tupy
    risos :tick:

LOL é americano. :D

30. Pedrovski Senior Member

English, Portuguese

Sim, os portugueses nunca tiveram grande imaginação para inventarem o seu próprio termo, as palavras "risos" ou "rs" acabaram por nunca se tornar uso corrente.

Mas tens razão.:thumbsup:

31. Alandria Senior Member

Brasil - São Paulo
    Português
    LOL e RS...
    ... tanto faz, depende do internauta brasileiro com que se está falando.

32. Alandria Senior Member

Brasil - São Paulo
    Português
    Falaram sobre as vogais nasais, eu tenho um palpite.

Na minha opinião vogais no português não são bem nasais, elas são na verdade nasalizadas por uma velar nasal que nasaliza a vogal anterior.

Meu palpite (isso é só um palpite!!!!).

Formas de se pronunciar a palavra "são":

səwŋ (essa velar nasal nasaliza as duas vogais, está presente no meu dialeto, no dos mineiros, cariocas e brasilienses. Eu não sei descrever como diriam os nordestinos, me soa ligeiramente diferente o jeito que eles pronunciam as vogais nasalizadas, ou seja, mais "fanha", com certeza é outro alofone)

sə-wŋ (a velar nasal só nasaliza a semivogal W, pronúncia de alguns paulistanos e partes do sul)

Sɐwŋ (pronúncia portuguesa, é ligeiramente mais aberta do que a nossa sem dúvida

33. MOC Senior Member

Portugal
    Portuguese

Pessoalmente acho que, quando muito, até nasalizo a letra seguinte e não a anterior.

Quanto à pronúncia portuguesa de "são" depende sem dúvida da região que for. Nos arredores do Porto essa vogal é fechadíssima.

Mas também é verdade que conheço um sítio onde "são" se pronuncia "sám" este "m" é o de "sem".

34. Alandria Senior Member

Brasil - São Paulo
    Português
    'Sám"?

Acho que você exagerou, isso é contra a fonotática do português.
    Se for assim, esse falante falaria "eles sámassim". :eek:
    A não ser que esteja se referindo à semivogal "j" nasalizada de "sem".

Outra coisa, pelo que entendi, sua pronúncia é mais próxima da dos paulistanos e sulistas, é isso? :)

Eu me baseei na pronúncia de lisboa pra esboçar a pronúncia portuguesa. ;)

35. MOC Senior Member

Portugal
    Portuguese
    Não exagerei, não. Dizem "sám" e "sabám" como quem diz "sápo". E esse falante não diria "sámassim" mas sim "sám éssim". Mas isto é um sotaque extremamente regionalizado. Em 99.9% de Portugal não se usa.

Eu não sei exactamente qual é a minha pronúncia porque vivi em várias zonas do país. Em Lisboa dizem que falo com pronúncia do norte. No Porto (norte) dizem-me que falo com pronúncia de "sul". Também não lhe saberia explicar qual a minha pronúncia quando comparada com pronúncias brasileiras, porque ainda as estou a aprender a distinguir.

Algumas características da minha pronúncia (excluindo regionalismos específicos de certas cidades).

Não troco V's por B's, prática corrente de Aveiro para cima. Não transformo "ou" em "ô", prática corrente para baixo de Coimbra. Segundo a minha namorada (que é Lisboeta) tenho uma forma estranha, presumo que nortenha, de dizer o "e" no início de algumas palavras (ex: "entro", "eu") e pelos vistos digo "sânha", "sâi" (em vez de "senha" e "sei"). Esta última descobri quando o Outsider chamou a atenção. :D

36. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Parece-me que o que o MOC está a querer dizer é que o "ã", em vez de ser um "â" nasal, é mesmo um "á" nasal, isto é, uma vogal aberta nasal. Isto acontece em algumas falas do norte de Portugal.

37. MOC Senior Member

Portugal
    Portuguese
    É possível. Acho que tem razão.

E daí talvez não tenha inteiramente. Está a falar provavelmente do sotaque de Braga (onde também já vivi). Nesse sotaque apesar de existir um á nasal, consegue perceber que existe um "o" a seguir. Nesta forma de dizer o "são" que estou a falar, não existe qualquer indicativo que ele lá esteja. Sabe diferenciar "mão" de "mãe" apenas pela diferença entre "má~m" e "má~im".

38. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    É mais ou menos como quando o José Esteves diz "vamos lá cambada". Para a gente do sul, quase que soa a "combada".

39. Alandria Senior Member

Brasil - São Paulo
    Português
    Nossa, eu não sabia disso. Valeu pelas informações, gente! ;)

40. MOC Senior Member

Portugal
    Portuguese
    O sotaque do Porto é o mais fechado dos sotaques do norte. Este "á" que lhe estou a dizer é muito mais aberto que o usado no Porto. (Não me estou a lembrar ao certo como é a forma como esse personagem diz "cambada", logo estou apenas a supor)

41. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Ai! Estamo-nos a perder no meio da terminologia fonética. :D

Uma característica dos sotaques do norte é a pronúncia mais frequente do "a" como uma vogal aberta. Por exemplo, "màior", "gàiola".

P.S. Quando o Herman José parodia os sotaques do norte, pronuncia por exemplo "bem" como "benhe". É a algo deste género que se refere, MOC?

42. MOC Senior Member

Portugal
    Portuguese
    Concordo com tudo o que disse. Eu acho foi que não percebeu o que eu quis dizer antes.

A abertura das vogais é sem dúvida uma das características dos sotaques do norte. O que eu quis dizer foi que de entre os sotaques do norte (pelo menos do literal norte), o do Porto é o mais fechado.

Um habitante da cidade do Porto com sotaque cerrado (e ao fim ao cabo é sempre destas pessoas que estamos a falar) não fará qualquer distinção entre as palavras "cão" e "com". Soará tudo a "com". Noutras localidades do norte será possível ouvir o tal "á" possivelmente anasalado que também se ouvirá em "mão".

De facto, as palavras gaiola e maior por exemplo, são ditas como "gáiola" e "máior" no Porto, mas também o são nas outras localidades do norte.

Com isto quero dizer o quê? Existem semelhanças entre esses sotaques (obviamente) mas nos casos das diferenças, se estas se prenderem com a maior ou menor abertura de vogais, o mais natural é que o caso da vogal mais fechada ocorra no Porto.

43. kurumin

kurumin Senior Member

salvador bahia brasil, brazilian portuguese & tupy
    Os portugueses pronunciam os b,g,d intervocais como os espanhóis e não como a gente?
    Alguém sabe de onde veio essa pronúncia?

bobo [boβu]
    verdade
    [vrδaδ]
    gago
    [gaɣu]

44. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Nem todos. Isso é mais habitual no centro e norte.

É um tipo de lenição bastante comum.

45. MOC Senior Member

Portugal
    Portuguese

Isso quer dizer que o som de "verdade" não é o mesmo de "dado" por exemplo? Nunca notei.

46. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Não, quer dizer que o segundo "d" de "dado" é mais suave que o primeiro, parecido com o "th" da palavra inglesa "then".

47. MOC Senior Member

Portugal
    Portuguese
    Nunca tinha reparado.

48. edupa Senior Member

Brazil Portuguese
    Hi all!

I thought I'd write this stuff in English. Non-native speakers of Portuguese can practice listening to Brazilian Portuguese by following along the transcription of the video below. (clique em Paulinho to see the transcript)

This video features Brazilian singer-songwriters Marisa Monte and Paulinho da Viola (from Rio de Janeiro) talking about and performing a never-before-heard version of Carinhoso, a song written in 1917 by Pixinguinha.

Paulinho and Marisa' s accent: carioca

49. olivinha Senior Member

Los Madriles
    Português, Brasil
    Isso de mudar o som de "d" para "th" eu vejo em certas regiões da Espanha, como em Madrid, por exemplo. [Aliás, o próprio presidente (que é de Castilla y León) fala assim].
    pared - pareth
    Madrid - Madrith
    verdad - verdath

Será pura coincidência?
    O

50. faranji Senior Member

Bahia (Brasil)
    portuñol
    Mas esse som, típico do centro da Espanha, não é o da 'th' na palavra inglesa 'then' mas o da palavra 'thanks'.