position concurrentielle

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by JadeLaBonnePoire, Jul 30, 2008.

1. JadeLaBonnePoire Senior Member

Paris
    French (France)
    Hi everybody,

I have to translate this:
    "Les agences de notation financière soulignent régulièrement la qualité du bilan et de la gestion de Groupama ainsi que la force de ses positions concurrentielles. "

And I did:
    "Financial rating agencies point regularly out the high-quality of the Groupama's balance sheet and management, as well as its good competitive position.

Do you think it's good? And if not, How can I improve it ?

Thanks a lot.

2. Merpero Senior Member

Birmingham,England
    English-United Kingdom
    "Its good competitive position" sounds fine to me, it is certainly grammatically correct English, et je suppose que çela veut dire que la société est meilleur que ou au moins, aussi bien que ses concurrents?

3. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    Some suggestions:
    ...regularly point out... [reposition adverb]
    drop the definite article in front of Groupama
    omit the hyphen between 'high' and 'quality' [separate words]
    instead of 'balance sheet', you could use 'financial position', but b/s is ok

4. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    I'd translate it more literally, I think: the strength of its competitive positions.

5. JadeLaBonnePoire Senior Member

Paris
    French (France)
    Ok right,

Thank you all for your precious help!

6. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    One quibble perhaps. Although in French the term can take the plural, it will always be singular in English when speaking of a person or business firm: the firm's competitive position, the trader's competitive position in the market, etc.

7. JadeLaBonnePoire Senior Member

Paris
    French (France)
    ok right. Thank you.!

8. Merpero Senior Member

Birmingham,England
    English-United Kingdom
    Kelly B's "the strength of its competitive position" est excellent est certainement, cela améliore la puissance et l'élégance de cette expression, à mon avis.