1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

position of "also" in a sentence

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Inglip, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Inglip Senior Member

Dubai, UAE
    English - UK
    I work in an office with many, many different nationalities. Today, something interesting came up. Where do you fit 'also' into a sentence. The sentence was:

Also, we would like to propose X
    We would also like to propose X
    We would like to propose X also
    We also would like to propose X
    We would like also to propose X
    We would like to also propose X

It was interesting because the office was quite divided over where it should be placed. Each nationality of person saying they would place it somewhere else in the sentence, and also insiting there was only one correct way.

What do you think? How would you structure this sentence?

2. Sedulia

Sedulia Senior Member

Paris, France
    **Literate** American English
    Also is pretty easy to insert and most of these sound fine. The one that I would use most easily is # 2 ("We would also like to propose") but I can imagine reasons to use all of them, even the foreign-sounding # 5, under certain circumstances.

The last one sounds wrong to me but that's just because I notice the split infinitive; I'm not against split infinitives when necessary but this one just sounds odd.

3. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    One or two of them may require a bit of fiddling with the intonation, but all of them can sound completely natural. I agree with Sedulia that if there is a default position, one that you'd use with the least thought about intonation or emphasis, it's after the first auxiliary ('would also like') - this is true of adverbs generally.

4. Inglip Senior Member

Dubai, UAE
    English - UK
    Personally, I prefer 2, and I also said that they all work ok.

I found it interesting how the different nationalities would accept that the others are correct, and they each had their opinion about it.

5. Angelina68 New Member

English UK
    Hi

The second one is the only one to sound completely natural. All of the others will have a 'second language sound' unless you know exactly how you are using them . Different structures emphasise different parts of the sentence subtly changing the meaning:

Also, we would like to propose X ….Where emphasis has been on one/some proposals ‘ here is another proposal’

We would also like to propose X ….This is the most common structure. It is open and could apply either to the act of proposing or to a previous or present proposal. This is the safest to use to sound natural.

We would like to propose X also…. More about the action of proposing

We also would like to propose X…..This is about ‘us’ where other people have proposed.

We would like also to propose X…..This is similar to the first form meaning ‘here is another proposal’ but it is awkward sounding and rarely ever used.

We would like to also propose X.. . Again similar to the first form and truly lacking in style.

Cheers
    Angelina68