Postquam domum reditum est,collegae eius hoc crimine accusab

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Lamb67, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Lamb67

Lamb67 Senior Member

Postquam domum reditum est,collegae eius hoc crimine accusabantur.

My try :
    After returning home, his colleagues are accused of this charge.

I cannot understand reditum' s grammatical functions,' the home was returned?',please explain thanks.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  2. o-nami

o-nami Senior Member

Torino, Italia
    Italian
    Ave Lamb!
    With city names or little island, you can use simply the accusative (without ad or in), and with the words domus and rus too:
    Debeo ire Augusta Taurinorum. I have to go to Torino
    Redibo domum vespere. I will return home tonight
    Haec via rus it. This street led to country

3. Lamb67

Lamb67 Senior Member

BIG WAVE !

Thanks, but reditum not ended with reditus to conform with EST, in this case a man,

Can you tell me why?

'Dopo che si fu tornati in patria, i suoi colleghi vennero accusati ...' From an Italian website for your reference and turn it back to English for me please, thanks.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  4. o-nami

o-nami Senior Member

Torino, Italia
    Italian
    Well it's not too easy to explain it in English... Dopo che si fu tornati in patria is an impersonal sentence, in Italian. The final i in tornati means that we are speaking about a group of person. A generic one! So the subject, in latin, isn't a man... Well, of course it is, you understand this from the context, but if we speak about grammar, reditum is neuter and singular, because you are not telling about a single man, but about a generic subject, that can be plural or singular... So you can use, in latin, neuter and singular. The translation of Dopo che si fu tornati in patria is (more or less): after they return to his motherland (patria -ae, in latin, or domus too!). But this translation don't render the full meaning of the italian one.
    I don't believe that in English exist such a form to say it better...
    To summarize: eius is the only word from wich you can understand that the subject of the sentence is one single man. The first part of the sentence is very generic about the subject. Is like It's said that this is a great book. WHO says this?? You cannot know unless you ask it...
    So, I think your translation After returning home, his colleagues are were accused of this charge is very good. But avoid to think that the subject of After returning home, grammatically speaking, is a man. Of course it is, but the writer keeps it in a generic form, explained right after the comma with eius.
    Sorry, but I don't believe I can be more clear, because is very difficult to explain something that doesn't exists in the same form in english from italian or latin! Moreover, I don't know Chinese Mandarin so I cannot give you an example in your native language.
    Hope I've helped you anyway...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  5. pantarhei

pantarhei Senior Member

Reditum est literallyin English is *it was come = passive form for *it came (for itself). As already explained by O-nami, the subject is impersonal and a singular neuter ending is expected (-um, and not -us or -a). Who came back? We do not know. And so why did a latin use this form? Because here we have a subordinate clause (introduced by postquam) whose logical subject can be infered from the following main clause (collegae eius hoc crimine accusabantur).

6. XiaoRoel

XiaoRoel Senior Member

Vigo (Galiza)
    galego, español
    Después que la casa es restituida (tras ser restituida la casa), sus colegas eran (son) acusados de este crimen.
    Postquam domum reditum est, oración adverbial de tiempo, CC de accusabantur: postquam, subjunción; domum, sujeto; reditum, atributo est, verbo copulativo;
    collegae eius hoc crimine accusabantur,
    oración principal: verbo pasivo accusabantur; sujeto paciente collegae eius (eius es CN), CC de materia o judicial, hoc crimine (hoc determinante, crimine núcleo).

7. mnascimento New Member

português-espanhol
    Oi li que você fala português, quer ser meu amigo?