postus interruptus (meaningful?)

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Biffo, May 17, 2014.

1. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Hello

I was interrupted in the middle of typing a long post on another forum. I decided to submit my post but with a comment to show it was incomplete. I thought of the jokey ideas postius interruptus and postus interruptus. I'm pretty sure that postius is meaningless in Latin but I'm now wondering if postus does mean something.

Question: Does my jokey comment postus interruptus have a meaning in Latin and, if so, could it be apt in describing an interrupted post?

Thank you.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  2. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    Salvete!

The short answer to Biffo's query is "no". postus can only be understood as a condensed form of the past participle of pono, "to put", "to "place", but it winds its way into English thereby in the sense of "post" as in "posting a letter", and thence to the sense in which it is used for "posting" contributions to a website.

Biffo could try emissio interrupta, which would have several doubles entendres, some of them humorous.

Σ

3. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Ave Scoliaste!

Epistula tua accepi et intellexi.

Tibi gratias ago

(please correct my Latin)

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  4. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Reading, UK
    English - UK
    ΟΚ, you asked for it:

Scholiasta [Greek 1st-declension loan words are assimilated to the Latin 1st declension, so there is no declined vocative different from the nominative].

epistulam tuam accepi... [accusative object, with possessive adjective in agreement, acc. fem. sing.].

Σ