1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Kormin Senior Member

France, french
    How could you translate "un pot d'accueil" in english.

It's a french expression for a little meal to welcome people, with juice, cookies, etc...

Thanks

2. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Hi Kormin,
    I am only familiar with "un pot de départ" in french, meaning "a leaving do" or "a leaving party".
    So perhaps by extension you could call "un pot d'accueil" = "a welcoming do" or more simply " a few drinks to welcome somebody new"

3. Kormin Senior Member

France, french
    Pot d'accueil et pot de départ, c'est le même principe.

Thanks ;)

4. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

welcome or farewell get-together/happy hour

5. honeybfly Senior Member

Londres
    UK, English
    J'ai travaillé dans un camping en France où il y a avait un 'pot d'accueil' pour les campeurs. Moi je dirais 'welcome drink'.

6. Padraig Senior Member

Ireland
    Hiberno-English, Irish Gaelic
    I was a bit thrown by Kormin's description, as I think of a pot as a drink.

Un pot d'acceuil, to me, is a drink (or drinks) offered to welcome people. I would expect some little snacks or nibbles along with it. If it is arranged as an event, I would call it a reception, or a welcome reception.

7. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Hello :)

Would that work in the context of un pot d'accueil organised to welcome a new employee? What would be best in this context?

8. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    Hello DearPrudence,
    It's more usual to give "a send-off do" for the departure for a well liked coworker, than to have a celebratory drink for the arrival of a new employee.
    I been to dozens of the former, and can't remember ever once attending the latter. Here in France it is usual for a new employee to be invited to tag along to lunch during their first week, to make them feel welcome.

I think Padraig's suggestion of a reception fits, if you're going to have drinks for someone's arrival.

9. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Thank you, L'Irlandais :) I know this is not very common indeed but well, that can very rarely happen.