pot of gold found at the end of the rainbow

Discussion in 'English Only' started by LV4-26, Jul 6, 2006.

1. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Hello fellow forer@s,

In this thread, MonsieurAquilone taught me a new expression : pot of gold

Of course, I immediately started to google for its usage and I realized it was often associated with "end of the rainbow". Finally, I got not less than 228,000 hits for the phrase "pot of gold at the end of the rainbow".

Could you please tell me about the origin of that proverbial pot and that proverbial rainbow?

Any input appreciated
  2. Sallyb36

Sallyb36 Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    British UK
    Maxiogee should know because I think it has something to do with Leprechauns (Irish fictional(?) folk). I think it's where they are supposed to hide their pots of gold.
  3. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    Agreed! It is also a part of AE folklore with Hiberno-English roots.
  4. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Thanks very much Sally and Marc. Now I'm looking forward to some more information about the original story, what the phrase exactly means nowadays, the lot. Yes, I know I'm greedily curious. :)
  5. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

English - England
  6. maxiogee Banned

The cuddly Teddybear is right. There is a conflation of two themes of Irish folklore here.
    As it is folklore and as there are many variants on these stories, I won't even begin to try to explain them. The links se16teddy gave, and websearches for ("pot of gold" +leprechaun +ireland) and ("pot of gold" +rainbow +ireland) should provide plenty of research for those eager for knowledge.
  7. . 1 Banned

Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    A crock of gold is said to be found at the end of the rainbow because it is simply impossible to ever reach the end of the rainbow.