Pour un coup d'essai, ce fut un coup de maître

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by emmap, Apr 16, 2008.

1. emmap Senior Member

french france
    Bonjour,

comment traduire "Pour un coup d'essai, ce fut un coup de maître" s'il vous plait?

Merci.

2. manska86 Senior Member

UK English
    Generally what I have seen is that people try and translate it and then others help them, moreso to give the other people the specific context but it looks like this is a saying, which could mean it is its own context. Is it a saying? If so it might be similar to the English saying, the student has become the master. So maybe something like, that was perfect, for a first try (or not bad for a rooky), implying that it was completed perfectly though it was the first time the person was doing it. There is probably a better word that will replace perfect. Have I understood it?

3. Rory Melough

Rory Melough Senior Member

Birmingham, UK
    British English
    I don't think there is an equivalent for this in English - at least nothing springs to mind. I would be tempted to reduce it to its basic meaning and say:

"Although only a simple attempt, it was a stroke of brilliance."

Have a check what other English speakers think.

4. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    The pretty literal translation
    For a first try, [this was] a master stroke.
    should be fine.

5. Maped40

Maped40 Senior Member

France
    French - France
    By the way, this commonly used phrase is a quotation from Corneille (Le Cid)