pourcentage des aliments dans la ration du poulet de chair

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by asteroide, Mar 30, 2009.

1. asteroide Senior Member

Hanoi
    France - français
    Hi
    It's the title of a table, in rows are the differents feed (rice, cassava, maize...), in columns the age of the broiler (1 week, 2 weeks). Inside the cells, the percentage of the total mixture.

I have to find the name for the table

percentage of feed in broiler ration

Broiler feed formula

"ration" is the technical term that means the package of food that you give for 1 meal, and which containt is precisely defined

And I would be curious to know what is the litteral translation in english of "ration" and "aliment" ("ration" and "feed" sounds too french to me...)

Thanks

2. Mikebo Senior Member

English - UK
    "Feed" and "ration" sound ok to me for talking about rearing animals except that I would think of "feed" as being a general term rather than referring to the individual ingredients.

"Broiler feed formula" seems good but I think you would have to add something to it eg:

"Broiler feed formula: percentage of ingredients per ration" or else
    "Percentage of constituent foodstuffs per ration of broiler feed"

Qu'en penses-tu?

General translations of the Fench terms would be:
    "Ration" = "share" or "portion".
    "Aliment" = "food"

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  3. asteroide Senior Member

Hanoi
    France - français
    Thanks,
    Sounds good for the title of the table

So french "aliment" would be english "ingredients" in this case (in french you would use the french "ingrédients" when you talk about a receipe, like "ingrédients: sel, poivre, tomates, courgettes", but you would'nt use it for animals)

However, the translation for "ration" doesn't sound good to me, as for me, "portion" or "share" means that you're talking of a part of something bigger

Dans ce contexte (animal husbandry), quand on parle de ration, c'est un tout bien déterminé (pas une partie ou un pourcentage de quelque chose)

Pour les vaches par exemple, on calcule une ration une bonne fois pour toutes. On parle du "rationnement" de la vache. Dans le contexte d'élevage, ça veut juste dire que les quantités sont controlées et mesurées. Pour les humains, ça doit être pareil, mais en général on contrôle les quantitié que quand il n'y a pas assez à manger, d'où une notion de restriction de nourriture parfois attachée au "rationnement". Pour les animaux, aucune notion de restriction

Ex
    - vous leur donnez quoi comme ration à vos vaches?
    On attend comme genre de réponse:
    - 30% d'ensilage de maïs (maze), 10% de tourteau de soja (soy), et 60% de foin (hay), 10kg de mélange par jour et par vache

Le tout formant la ration.

So is "ration" the right english term? (and not share or part), or "formula"

But maybe I get confused because there is no exact translation for this word in english and it all depends on your sentence :rolleyes:

4. Mikebo Senior Member

English - UK
    Hi

As you can see from the quotes I gave, "ration" is used to talk about the amount of food given to the animal. "ration" means an allotted amount (as in rations during wartime or in the army etc) so I think it fits.

I used "ingredients" in the first translation as it is a general term for what is in something and could be used in the context because we know we what we are talking about from the table [and I hadn't yet thought of "foodstuff"].
    To be more specific, and faithful to the original, you could say "foodstuffs" instead:

"Broiler feed (formula): percentages of foodstuffs/foodstuff percentages per ration"

The second translation I gave is closer to the original French. You could leave out the word "constituent" if you want:

"Percentages of (constituent) foodstuffs per ration of broiler feed"

Note: I feel inclined to use "percentages" (plural) although the French uses the singular. This seems to work because it is the title for the whole table and not just for a particular column.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  5. asteroide Senior Member

Hanoi
    France - français
    Thanks
    that's clearer for me now