Prácticas de laboratorio

Tema en 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' comenzado por Tira, 26 de Julio de 2007.

1. Tira New Member

Switzerland, French
    How to say "prácticas de laboratorio" in English?

Thanks.

2. Lalylamezcla New Member

USA, English
    Lab (laboratory) practices

3. fuzzzylogix

fuzzzylogix Senior Member

madrid
    aspacameur/english 1st, spanish 2nd
    Lab experiments...

4. Tira New Member

Switzerland, French
    Thanks laylamezcla and fuzzylogix!
    I need to distinguish between "prácticas de laboratorio" and "experimentos" that could be carried out in or outside the laboratory. The sentence is: prácticas de laboratorio y experimentos. So, shall I say: Lab experiments and experiments ?

5. fuzzzylogix

madrid
    No, don't say that. But what exactly do you mean by "prácticas" as opposed to experiments? I see them as the same thing.

6. papillon Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    Russian (Ukraine)
    Tira,
    in the US, a chemistry class will often consist of a theoretical and practical portions. The theory is called the lecture and the practical part laboratory section (or the lab). Laboratory (class) corresponds to what in Spain is called practicas. take a look, for example, at the typical University Curriculum (Brandeis, US); note Chemistry Lectures (teoria) and Chemistry Laboratory (practicas).

I don't think you can distinguish between p. de l. and experimentos, since practica by definition involves doing experiments.

7. Tira New Member

Switzerland, French
    Fuzzylogix: Prácticas involve experiments but they are carried out in the laboratory and students may have to follow a guide or manual and do a serie of small experiments, measures, write a report, etc.
    An experiment may be carried out in the classroom or outdoors, it can be made by the teacher and students just watch.
    I think that what Papillon said is right. I will say: Laboratory and experiments.

Thank you all for your help.

8. patin Senior Member

USA
    Costa Rica español
    Well I understand it a little different: I think you can say Laboratory practices and experiments, because when you do practices, they are the ones that are preestablished in a book or by a teacher for example but when you do an experiment you actually are trying something that you don't really know the results

patin

9. Tira New Member

Switzerland, French
    Gracias Patin!
    I didn't know that a litteral translation "Laboratory practices" was correct. If so, that would solve the problem.

10. papillon Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    Russian (Ukraine)
    Just a small note: I would replace the word practice with exercise(s). Though in general practice can mean exercise, taken together Laboratory practice tends to mean "the way things are done in laboratory", that is the meaning num. 1 of practice). Usually found in constructs such as "under Good Laboratory Practice", i.e. following all the necessary safety and operation procedure.

11. patin Senior Member

USA
    Costa Rica español
    Wait I just realize, is not practices it is practicals (that´s the right term)

Laboratory practicals and experiments

patin

12. papillon Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    Russian (Ukraine)
    Sorry, I disagree. :(I've never heard practical used as a noun.

13. patin Senior Member

USA
    Costa Rica español
    5 Educ (clases no teóricas) practicals, US labs: por la mañana tiene prácticas de química, in the morning he has chemistry practicals ➣

Es terminología especializada.

patin

14. papillon Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    Russian (Ukraine)
    This is interesting! In particular the fact that this is supposed to be US usage. I personally have never heard a students mention a chemistry practical, at all the universities where I worked it would always be a chemistry lab.

But who knows...;)

15. fuzzzylogix

madrid
    That's what I was going to say, papillon. Lab work, whether experiments or practice, is simply known as Lab class (in school). I've never heard anybody say, "I'm going to lab practice" (not in english, anyway).

16. papillon Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    Russian (Ukraine)
    Well, this confirms my feeling: football practice - yes, chemistry practice - hmmm...
    But patin brings up an interesting point: practical (noun) is indeed in the dictionary. In case you're interested, I just opened a thread in the EO forum to get more opinions - perhaps there is an area where such usage is OK.

17. patin Senior Member

USA
    Costa Rica español
  18. papillon Senior Member

Barcelona, Spain
    Russian (Ukraine)
    Oh, I think I got it: once again it's the dreaded AE vs BE difference. :) All the examples given were written in the UK.

So looks like Tira just needs to choose which variant of English to use in the translation.
    BE: Laboratory practicals and experiments.
    AE: Laboratory class and experiments.

Although I would still argue that adding experiments makes it sound redundant.:)

Comparte esta página