1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

prédio or edifício

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by Killerboi, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Killerboi Senior Member

English
    Hey all,

I'm new to the Portuguese forum, but I was wondering, can anyone tell me the difference between 'prédio' and 'edifício'?

2. Joca

Joca Senior Member

Florianópolis, Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    I think they are almost perfect synonyms, but while all "edifícios" are "prédios", not all "prédios" are "edifícios". "Prédio" is a more general word, it can be tall or short. "Edifícios" are usually tall.

THis is my personal take on this.

3. Alandria Senior Member

Brasil - São Paulo
    Português
    Welcome to the portuguese forum, Killerboi!

Both words mean the same.

4. Killerboi Senior Member

English
    Obrigado :)

5. Ruca Senior Member

Grande Porto
    Português Europeu

Hello,

In common language, generally both words are used to refer to buildings, especially multi-story buildings. However, technically speaking, "prédio" may mean both land or building. Here in Portugal, in legal language, "prédio rural" refers to a plot of land and "prédio urbano" refers to any kind of building (houses, apartment buildings, etc).

6. Casmurro

Casmurro Junior Member

Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul
    Portuguese - Brazil
    They are synonyms, but we can observe a pattern in its use. For instance, the building's "name" has never prédio on it, only edifício: "Edifício São Pedro", never "Prédio São Pedro" (as an official name). And prédio is used as much as edifício for reference, like in: "Aquele prédio / Aquele edifício" (That building).

At least in Brazil.