prédio or edifício

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by Killerboi, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Killerboi Senior Member

Hey all,

I'm new to the Portuguese forum, but I was wondering, can anyone tell me the difference between 'prédio' and 'edifício'?
  2. Joca

Joca Senior Member

Florianópolis, Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    I think they are almost perfect synonyms, but while all "edifícios" are "prédios", not all "prédios" are "edifícios". "Prédio" is a more general word, it can be tall or short. "Edifícios" are usually tall.

THis is my personal take on this.
  3. Alandria Senior Member

Brasil - São Paulo
    Welcome to the portuguese forum, Killerboi!

Both words mean the same.
  4. Killerboi Senior Member

Obrigado :)
  5. Ruca Senior Member

Grande Porto
    Português Europeu

In common language, generally both words are used to refer to buildings, especially multi-story buildings. However, technically speaking, "prédio" may mean both land or building. Here in Portugal, in legal language, "prédio rural" refers to a plot of land and "prédio urbano" refers to any kind of building (houses, apartment buildings, etc).
  6. Casmurro

Casmurro Member

Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul
    Portuguese - Brazil
    They are synonyms, but we can observe a pattern in its use. For instance, the building's "name" has never prédio on it, only edifício: "Edifício São Pedro", never "Prédio São Pedro" (as an official name). And prédio is used as much as edifício for reference, like in: "Aquele prédio / Aquele edifício" (That building).

At least in Brazil.