predicate

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by Morning Mist, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Morning Mist

Morning Mist New Member

Mexico City
    English / Spanish
    Hola a todos,

En un texto sobre un estudio in vivo aparece la palabra "predicate" varias veces. Me parece que hace referencia a uno de los elementos que se están evaluando. No obstante, no encuentro una definición exacta en los diccionarios para este caso. ¿Podría utilizar el término "evaluado"?

"Five aneurysms were embolized with predicate device coils"

"Cinco aneurismas recibieron embolización utilizando las espirales del dispositivo evaluado"

Gracias anticipadas por su ayuda.
    Saludos

2. Bill Osler

Bill Osler Senior Member

North Carolina, USA
    English, USA
    I have never seen the term "predicate device" before, but according to this page the term is used when a device (the "predicate device") is already on the market and a company is trying to establish that their "new" device is substantially similar to the existing "predicate device".
    Based on that information I don't think that "evaluado" would be the appropriate term. The text presumably has already made clear what the "new device" and "predicate device" are so I would think that a word with the meaning of "previously approved" or "pre-existing" or "previously evaluated" would be desirable here. I'm afraid I don't know what that word might be.

3. Morning Mist

Morning Mist New Member

Mexico City
    English / Spanish
    Hi Bill,

Thank you so much for your help. You are right! This probably refers to a "previously approved" or "pre-existing" device. I have found some texts where this word has been used as "pre-existing".

Thanks again!

4. Bill Osler

Bill Osler Senior Member

North Carolina, USA
    English, USA
    You are welcome. Trying to figure out that phrase was interesting. After thinking about this a bit, I believe that the "predicate" label comes from a relatively uncommon use of "predicate" as a legal term. I may not have this exactly right, but I think that in legal use a "predicate act" or "predicate crime" is a prior act/crime that is relevant to the current case. In this case the "predicate device" is an existing device that is relevant to the current application.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  5. Morning Mist

Morning Mist New Member

Mexico City
    English / Spanish
    I think you are right. That is the way I used it.
    Thank you once more for your help.
    Happy Holidays!