pregi e difetti

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by robybuga, Oct 31, 2007.

1. robybuga Junior Member

italy
    yes.... I have all the PREGI and DIFETTI of Italians

What is the right translation?

2. baldpate

baldpate Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    I have all the virtues and vices of Italians

3. BraveHeart_1983 Junior Member

Senigallia
    Italy
    Anyway, what is the generic translation for "pregi e difetti"?

4. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    Dipende dal contesto.

5. BraveHeart_1983 Junior Member

Senigallia
    Italy
    Guarando un pò in giro ho visto usare "strength and weaknesses" e questo in contesti diversi e sempre in forma generale, forse in un contesto generale questa è la definizione da preferire, no?

6. pattyfashiion Senior Member

italian-italia
    IO ho sentito dire anche: merits and faults? Qualcuno mi può confermare se si dice grazie mille...

Scusate il ritardo...:)

7. anglomania1

anglomania1 Senior Member

Piacenza, Italy
    UK English
    Hello,
    it's certainly not incorrect but I don't think it's so common as "strengths and weaknesses" and "vices and virtues".
    Hope this helps:),
    Anglo

8. lobepra Junior Member

Italy - Italian
    Ciao. Devo scrivere un CV in inglese e volevo scrivere "Uno dei miei pregi è la curiosità". Potete aiutarmi?
    Devo usare "value" o quale altra parola?
    Grazie.

9. baldpate

baldpate Senior Member

London
    UK, English
    "One of my strengths is ..." o "One of my strong points is ...".

Tutte due vanno bene nel tuo contesto.

10. lobepra Junior Member

Italy - Italian
    Perfetto, grazie mille, mi scuso per avere aperto un altro thread.

11. Saoul

Saoul Senior Member

Milan
    Italian
    What if I'm talking about a building? For example:

That architect showed me vices and virtues of New York buildings.

Would you say that or would you use "strengths and weaknesses"? (Which would be my logical choice, I have to say)

Thanks,
    Saoul

12. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    Saoul, I think you would say "strengths and weaknesses" here, although I would precede it by "the". You talk about 'architectural weaknesses' of buildings.

13. GavinW Senior Member

Italy
    British English
    I guess it still depends on what aspects of the building(s) are being considered: structural, aesthetic etc...
    ;-)

14. Saoul

Saoul Senior Member

Milan
    Italian
    So "Mr. XYZ showed me the strenghts and weaknesses of New York buildings".

Would you repeat "the" also before weaknesses or not?

EDIT: Cross posting with Gavin

Gavin, the person who's saying that doesn't elaborate more than this. She just says that this architect showed her "pregi e difetti dei palazzi di New York". Nothing more than that.

At first I translated the sentence using "vices and virtues" because it's the expression that first came up in my head, but then I thought that vices and virtues are sort of human qualities rather than a way to describe a building... It's more human-related than the Italian expression "pregi and difetti" to my non native ear.

A building can have a "pregio" and a "difetto" alright in Italian.
    Can a building have a "vice" or a "virtue" in English? That's basically my problem.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  15. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    I agree. To be honest, Saoul, it's a slightly odd sentence and would only really work with greater context. :)

16. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    No, you wouldn't.

Better would be:

Mr XYZ pointed out the strengths and weaknesses of the buildings in New York

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  17. GavinW Senior Member

Italy
    British English
    We're getting there.
    saoul, you're right: "virtues and vices" refers above all to human qualities (or, let's say, behavioural aspects). Whereas "strengths and weaknesses" would be structural, or relate to the "standards" of the buildings (whatever kind of "standards" may be appropriate, perhaps the quality of their design or some specific features they have).
    Here, there is not much context, so it seems we are dealing with a general reference. Often, for this general use, we simply talk about "the good points and the bad points" of something (or, sometimes, "the high points and the low points" of something).
    However, it's also likely we're dealing with their aesthetic appearance. So maybe "the beauties and the flaws of some of the buildings of New York" (maybe amending "beauties" to some less emphatic term, but also maybe not; after all, there are some beautiful buildings in NY, right?). I think the word "flaw" is particularly appropriate (no pun intended!)
    ;-)

18. choirgirl_1985 Junior Member

Italian
    buongiorno a tutti!

Sto cercando una frase equivalente l nostro "pregi e difetti". Ho letto nel forum che c'è una pagina che tratta i due termini, ma credo che le alternative proposte non riescano a dare il senso pieno della frase italiana.

Al momento propenderei per "virtues and vices" (che comunque mi sembra lontano dal senso in questione)

oppure "qualities and faults".

Avete proposte più valide?

Grazie
    Maria

19. Blackman

Blackman Senior Member

Island of Sardinia, Italy
    Italiano/Sardo
    Quale frase italiana?

Con un contesto e una frase, possiamo aiutarti nella valutazione.

20. choirgirl_1985 Junior Member

Italian
    Ciao!

Intendevo dire proprio l'espressione così com'è.
    il contesto è quello classico: definire pregi e difetti di una persona.
    Spero di essere stata più chiara
    Grazie

21. Blackman

Blackman Senior Member

Island of Sardinia, Italy
    Italiano/Sardo
    Se dai un'occhiata al post 17, Gavin ti dice proprio quello che vuoi sapere.

22. choirgirl_1985 Junior Member

Italian
    Perfetto,Grazie!

23. kapitanfind-us Senior Member

Italian
    Hi guys!!
    Is it possible to express "pregi e difetti" with "ins and outs"?

24. choirgirl_1985 Junior Member

Italian
    Io proporrei "merits and flaws" ma aspetta i madrelingua!

25. anglomania1

anglomania1 Senior Member

Piacenza, Italy
    UK English
    Hi there,
    just a few points on previous comments in this thread:

1) I think we should be very careful about talking of "weaknesses" in a building unless we are actually talking about a real structural fault. It could be misunderstood and I personally would think that the buidling is about to fall down!! But I think what we are really talking about are the good and bad points - not real structural problems.

2) Merits and flaws - well, I don't think it's an idiom (at least, I've never heard of it). It would be understood, of course. But then so would "vacca matta" be understood, if someone used it instead of "mucca pazza" - but it just isn't used!! No other natives have commented on this, I'd be interested in their comments.

3) I think that "ins and outs" has a different meaning- it refers to everything involved in or connected to an issue. My dictionary gives "retroscena" as a translation and this example: I know all the ins and outs of this affair (conosco tutti i retroscena di questa faccenda).

I don't think we have one translation for pregi e difetti - as has been said above, it depends on the context.
    Possible translations are:
    vices and virtues
    strengths and weaknesses
    good and bad points
    pros and cons (just about!)

Hope this helps:),
    Anglo