1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

prender/tener una fogata

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by WatsJusto, Nov 28, 2010.

1. WatsJusto Senior Member

English - The States
    Busco una traducción para "To have a bonfire" ("Tener una fogata" es algo que se diga?), "prender una fogata" quiere decir "to light/start a bonfire", ¿no? Pero "to have a bonfire" indica que uno pasa mucho tiempo allí alrededor de la fogata...no sé, ¿qué opinan? Gracias.

2. Javadaba

Javadaba Senior Member

Seattle, USA
    Castellano - Argentina
    I think what you are looking for is "Hacer una fogata", which goes beyond simply lighting one up, and carries the meaning of keeping it alive for some time. At least that's how it sounds to me.

Stay warm!

3. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    Agree with Javadaba. I´d prefer something like Vamos a hacer una fogata en el bosque esta noche. In my opinion, it doesn´t mean only to start it, but ´have´ it on for some time (=tenerla encendida durante algún tiempo).

Also: Si vas a acampar aquí deberías tener/hacer una fogata para calentarte. Enciéndela con unas cerillas o con el mechero.

Saludos.

4. WatsJusto Senior Member

English - The States
    Understood. You answered my question. Thanks!

5. bondia

bondia Senior Member

Illes Balears
    English-England
    Mi opinión:
    Creo que "to have a bonfire" sugiere una fogata festiva (Guy Fawlkes, en UK, San Juan en algunos lugares de España)
    En el caso de estar acampado y encender un fuego para calentarte/hacer algo de comida, diría: "to make a fire"

6. WatsJusto Senior Member

English - The States
    It is also true that here in the States, to have a bonfire indicates some kind of party or event, however this phrase is not exclusively used in the States for a designated holiday. And perhaps this is a distinction between American and British English. In the US we say, "we're going to go to the beach and have a bonfire" even if it is a totally spontaneous occasion, i.e., not a holiday. Perhaps we've adopted this use of "having a bonfire" because it's a very common pastime in the US and mimics what goes on at more formal celebrations.

7. bondia

bondia Senior Member

Illes Balears
    English-England
    Yes, it can be totally spontaneous. What I meant (and didn't explain well) is that a bonfire is somehow festive, and I wouldn't use to to describe a campfire, which is related to keeping warm.:)

8. WatsJusto Senior Member

English - The States
    Definitely - and a good point :)