prendere qualcosa con le pinze

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by underhouse, Jul 25, 2007.

1. underhouse Senior Member

Come rendere questa espressione in inglese?
    Un esempio per il contesto: "dal momento che non sono un nativo prendi la mia traduzione con le pinze".
    Grazie per i suggerimenti.

2. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    Credo che sia:
    ...take it with a grain of salt. (AE)
    ...take it with a pinch of salt. (BE, forse...non sono sicuro).

Puoi vederla QUA.

3. underhouse Senior Member

Grazie Tim, era quello che cercavo!

4. gettingby Senior Member

Italy
    AmEnglish
    Hi everyone- ma "prendere una persona con le pinze" ? It seems from context that this is an arrogant and difficult person.
    Mia moglie si è permessa di partecipare ad una riunione CISL e lui l'ha emarginata. E' uno da prendere con le pinze.
    would this be "to treat with kid gloves"? or he's "a hard nut to crack"? or ...
    '
    To take with a grain of salt, for me, means not to take totally seriously or anyway, to be skeptical. But here if he's arrogant, he should be watched out for, right?

5. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    I agree.;) He should indeed be watched out for, given the reactions he has!

How about something along the lines of You have to tread gently when dealing with him (?)

6. MR1492

MR1492 Senior Member

Bowie, MD
    English -USA
    I am still plodding along with L'orda by Gian Antonio Stella. We've moved on to the age of the "anarchists and revolutionaries." This passage is written by Stella and is not a transcript of the past. He writes:

E in ogni caso i paragoni storici vanno presi con le pinze. Fatta la tara a tutto, però, la storia dice che questi nostri emigrati estremamente politicizzati, ...

I'm unclear about the portions in bold. I think he's saying this:

"In any case the historical comparisons have to be handled/examined carefully. Without the true weight, however, history says that our emigrants were extremists of politics, ...."

I think I understand "vanno presi con le pinze," means it has to be handled carefully but I'm not at all sure about "Fatta la tara a tutto". I know that in English the "tare weight" is the unladen weight so does it mean to get to the heart of the matter, get to the ground truth, or something similar? I appreciate any help with this one.

Phil

7. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Phil, it's in the WR dictionary, here.:)

8. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    Hi Phil :)

"Presi con le pinze" means "taken with a pinch of salt" and "Fatta la tara" is an expression meaning that the truth of something must be weighed up against possibly exaggerated claims. Something like

And in any case historical comparisons should be/get taken with a pinch of salt. Weighing everything up carefully, however, history says that our emigrants who were extremely politicized...

9. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    Hey Phil,

I saw that "fatto la tara" and thought that I smelled an idiom that I might learn.
    Learning the 'raw' meaning of the idiom often helps me "see" it better.

HERE is a discussion in the Solo Italiano forum.

From "proverbi_italiani" we see:

Com' è noto, la tara è il peso che deve essere tolto dal lordo per ottenere il netto.
    In riferimento a ciò, il detto "fare la tara" viene usato per indicare che è necessario ridurre alle giuste proporzioni quello che qualcuno ha affermato esageratamente.

And La Repubblica gives us another way of thinking about it:

Fare la tara a qualcosa, sfrondarla riducendola alle sue vere dimensioni: tra gente educata, si sa far la t. ai complimenti (Manzoni)

So in my mind I see it as "taking away the extra weight/fluff/stuff/extraneous/exaggeration"

...and I thank you for the idiom.

10. Blackman

Blackman Senior Member

Island of Sardinia, Italy
    Italiano/Sardo
    Just for the sake of precision, the original idiom is with molle and not with pinze. One might object they're the same thing, but they're not: pliers and firetongs have the fulcrum in different position ( this is for Phil, as he seems to like technical issues...;)).

And, yes Tim, although you've gone OT, you learnt a new idiom...:)

11. °Adhara°

°Adhara° Senior Member

Parma, Italy
    Italiano
    Ciao a tutti, vorrei solo sottolineare che non tutti gli emigrati erano politicizzati, ma solo quelli di cui si parla in questa parte del testo. :)

12. elfa

elfa Senior Member

Bath, England
    English
    Hai Adhara :)

hai ragione (e chiedo scusa a tutti emigrati non politicizzati ;)) Meglio forse

...these particular emigrants who were extremely politicized
    ...the emigrants in our country who were extremely politicized

o quel che si adatta più precisamente al contesto.