1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

prendre des initiatives

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by fabfab, Aug 31, 2007.

1. fabfab Senior Member

France - Grenoble
    French - France
    Hello,

How would you translate "prendre des initiatives"?
    Context: "Je ne suis pas quelqu'un de passif. Je prends très souvent des initiatives."

2. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    I'm not someone who's just sitting back. I very often take the initiative [in doing things].

I'd probably leave out 'in doing things', which was my attempt to render the plural for Fr. 'initiatives'.

3. Topilouf Senior Member

France Français
    Is it possible to say during an interview :

" I like to take initiatives... " (J'aime prendre des initiatives...) ???

4. slowpoke Junior Member

Paris
    USA/English
    You would have to say, "I like to take the initiative."

In English, we take the initiative

5. Topilouf Senior Member

France Français
    Ok so, you mean that i can't use the plural by putting a " S " a the end at initiative as said above by bh7 ?

So, for put it in the plural form i have to say : " I like to take the initiative in doing things " ????

6. slowpoke Junior Member

Paris
    USA/English
    Bonjour fabfab,

"I am not a passive person." "I often take the initiative."

7. Topilouf Senior Member

France Français
    Non, en fait, je voudrais dire la meme chose mais en le méttant à la forme PLURIELLE...

Quelle phrase dois-je utiliser ?

" I like to take the initiatives " OR " I like to take the initiative in doing things " ???

Je suis confus......

8. slowpoke Junior Member

Paris
    USA/English

No "s". Your sentence is correct. You can also just say, "I like to take the initiative." in doing things or in getting the job done is implied.

9. slowpoke Junior Member

Paris
    USA/English
    From my English/French dictionary:

initiative / I"nIS@tIv / noun
    1 (quality) initiative f; to have ou show initiative faire preuve d'initiative; use your initiative! (as advice) fais preuve d'initiative!; (as reproof) un peu d'initiative quand même!; on one's own initiative de son propre chef;
    2 (move) initiative f; to take the initiative prendre l'initiative (in doing de faire); peace initiative(s) initiative(s) de paix;
    3 (upper hand) to take/lose the initiative prendre/perdre l'initiative;
    4 politics law initiative f.

Does that help?

10. Topilouf Senior Member

France Français
    Ok, i understand, i will use this sentence...

Thank you...

11. slowpoke Junior Member

Paris
    USA/English

"I like to take the initiative in doing things" is correct. It is not plural in this context.

If you say, "I like to take the initiative" that means the same thing, as in doing things is understood. :)

12. Topilouf Senior Member

France Français

13. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    'To take the initiative' is a phrasal verb, so 'initiative' is always singular. If you say 'I like to take the initiative' it automatically means that you will do it more than once, so your plural is already in the sentence.

14. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

Another way to say this (especially relevant for a job interview) is I am a self-starter.