1. mrbadexample Junior Member

Walsall, UK
    England, English
    Hello all! (Bonjour à tous!)

Please help! I am writing (email) to a friend in France following a trip in the last week of June. I'm 38 and haven't studied French since I was at school, so it's a bit tough!

(Aidez-moi SVP! J'écrire (email) mon amie en France, suivante une visite la derniere semaine du juin. J'ai 38 ans, et je n'ai pas étudié le français depuis que j'étais à l'école, donc il est très difficile!)

I want to say (je voudrais dire):

"Here is a photo of Sandy Casar, who won today's stage (Friday). I took it in London at the Prologue."

My best guess is: "Ci joint une photo de Sandy Casar, qui a gagné l'étape d'aujourd'hui (vendredi). Je l'ai pris à Londres au Prologue."

Any good? I'm really struggling to get my head round the grammar, and I have to look up almost every word, so it takes forever. So long I can't face trying to translate this last bit. Any assistance is appreciated, (even with the initial text as well as the question), as I have a lot of improving to do.

SVP, si vouz répondrez en français, je ne comprend pas sans une traduction en anglais. Merci bien!

:D

2. Dark Stream

Dark Stream Junior Member

France
    Ci joint = attached, which is fine here.
    Or Voici = here is

I like the translation, although I would probably use "le stage" rather than "etape"

3. mrbadexample Junior Member

Walsall, UK
    England, English
    Thanks DS - I was most concerned with the last part - "Je l'ai pris à Londres au Prologue." Is that correct?

4. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Belgium/French
    If you're talking about the picture, then it should be "je l'ai prise"

5. Dark Stream

France
    Ah yes, excellent point.

6. mrbadexample Junior Member

Walsall, UK
    England, English
    Pourquoi? Parce que le mot "photo" est un nom feminine?

7. pieanne

pieanne Senior Member

Nice Hinterland
    Belgium/French
    Oui, tout à fait! :)

"l' " replaces "photo", is the Direct Object complement of a verb conjugated with "avoir". The past participle of the verbs conj. with "avoir" agrees with the DOC if the DOC is placed before the conjugated part of the verb.

8. Dark Stream

France
    Exactly.

9. mrbadexample Junior Member

Walsall, UK
    England, English
    Oh heck...I wanted to start with the basics! :D

Many thanks. :thumbsup:

And I'll be back another time for more help! ;)

10. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Hello & welcome to the forum MrGoodExample :)

If you took the picture of Sandy Casar, then it is "une étape" indeed, not "un stage" :) Congrats :)

11. mrbadexample Junior Member

Walsall, UK
    England, English
    Thank you, and yes, that's the man! :D

12. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    For having to put up with so much coverage of the Tour :rolleyes:, I can tell you it's "étape".
    "un stage" does exist in French but it means something like "training period" (I'm happy to learn the English word I must say :)).

Actually if you google "Tour de France", the first link gives you this:
    [SIZE=-1]Toutes les Etapes en Direct [...]

And have a look at Sandy Casar's palmarès on this page ;)
    [/SIZE]

13. Arrius

Arrius Senior Member

Spain
    English, UK
    who won today's stage (Friday). I took it in London at the Prologue."
    If the "trip" is really some kind of course then we can talk about un stage but I thought that would refer to the whole duration of the thing. If it is just or mainly "a trip" then étape is indicated for part of it in which one must presume there has been some kind of competition.
    Furthermore, although an Englishman too, I haven't a clue what "the Prologue" is, except the introduction to "The Canterbury Tales". We have been left in the dark about too many detals here.

14. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    He he, I see that though the Tour de France started in London, it didn't leave a great impression on you :D
    A "prologue" takes place before the "real" stages & is usually short (here, it was a 7.9 km time trial)

And sorry but I maintain I don't see how we could insert "stage" here except in sentences like:
    "Michael R était censé être en stage au Mexique mais en fait bla bla bla."

15. mrbadexample Junior Member

Walsall, UK
    England, English
    Yes, it's about the Tour de France, which I follow religiously every year. I thought from the sentence that it would be pretty obvious what I was referring to...I forget not everyone's a fan. :eek: As DP said, the prologue is a short individual time-trial, basically to parade the riders and give someone the maillot jaune for the first proper stage.

Étape is the correct word, of this I am certain. ;)