1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. cressonnet New Member

hi !
    does anybody know how to say 'prendre sur soi' in English ? meaning : to master / control one's feelings / temper etc...

NOTE DE LA MODÉRATION : Ce fil comprend plusieurs discussions existantes sur le même thème.
    MODERATOR NOTE: This thread includes several existing discussions on the same topic.
    ---------

Dernière édition: 11 Décembre 2013
  2. RODGER

RODGER Senior Member

France
    UK ENGLISH
    Hi Cressonnet, if you're looking for colloquial phrase then, "to get a grip on oneself" you could say to someone "get a grip !" and they might reply "It's ok , I can hack it" meaning they could get throught the difficulty. Hope that helps

Rodger

3. cressonnet New Member

thank you .. I hadn't thought about 'get a grip' . but actually it might be too colloquial. what I meant was that sometimes you don't want to do something yet you you do it without complaining because you don't want to hurt people..that's just an example

4. RODGER

RODGER Senior Member

France
    UK ENGLISH
    Ok, like "I just did it and kept it to myself" that's it, or "I kept my feelings to myself"

how's that ?
    cheers

Rodger

5. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    And how is "self-control"?

6. fetchezlavache

fetchezlavache Senior Member

metz, france
    france
    is 'bite the bullet' appropriate here ? or too colloquial ?

sorry to insist. can we use 'bite the bullet' for 'prendre sur soi' . thanks. :confused:

Dernière édition: 11 Décembre 2013
  7. Nico5992 Senior Member

Paris, France
    France (French)
    I also heard "to soldier on". I suppose it is colloquial though. Maybe native speakers could confirm.

8. Jabote Senior Member

Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
    French from France
    Il me semble que bite the bullet a une connotation de plus, celle de "mettre ça dans sa poche et son mouchoir par-dessus", "avaler la pilule", ce que n'a pas "prendre sur soi"... mais je me trompe peut-être...[​IMG]

9. zinc Senior Member

Marseille
    England/ English
    Hi, well I'm not completly au fait with the expression "prendre sur soi" but I think "bite the bullet" may be more suited to different contexts. E.g. "I don't particularly want to visit my mother in law this weekend, but I am just going to have to bite the bullet." (ie do it). Or: "This is a thankless job, but nobody else will do it. So let's bit the bullet and get on with it." I think this is a little different than "se maitriser" or "assumer". But once again, please let me say these are just my views. I've just seen Nico's post about "soldier on", which is very good.
    Edit: ditto for Jabote's "avaler la pilule"

10. Jabote Senior Member

Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
    French from France
    What you are explaining zinc more or less confirms what I was saying I guess...

About Nico's translation, I would not have thought about it... Not too sure this is the exact equivalent of "prendre sur soi" though... I would have translated it by "prendre son courage à deux mains", which is a little different from prendre sur soi... But then again correct me if I'm wrong ![​IMG]

11. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    What about "keep a stiff upper lip" or "keep one's chin up"? It seems to me they could be used in some contexts to translate "prendre sur soi".

12. Douglas Senior Member

USA ENGLISH
    I don't want to keep the ball rolling. But how would: "to keep or maintain one's composure" fit in? There's a Mid-Eastern saying which goes: "Add water to cooked food." If supper is ready to be served, disregard all this. . .

13. Jabote Senior Member

Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
    French from France
    Agree with you egueule, especially when you point out "in some contexts"..

14. zinc Senior Member

Marseille
    England/ English
    Ces expressions font très 007, but I agree about the context aspect, which means my advice about "bite the bullet" could be misleading. I have always thought that "j'ai du prendre sur moi de..." meant something like "well it was up to me to...", rather than "I had to bite the bullet and..." However, I am now quite confused myself, and need to find out more about how "prendre sur moi" is employed.

15. Jabote Senior Member

Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
    French from France
    prendre sur soi means forget about how you feel about doing something, just do it... Also when someone insults you for instance, "prendre sur soi" means that you control yourself and remain calm...

16. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Zinc, prendre sur soi and prendre sur soi de faire quelque chose are not quite the same.

J'ai pris sur moi de faire venir quelqu'un pour réparer la photocopieuse = j'ai pris l'initiative de etc.

Lorsque son mari est devenu infirme, elle a pris sur elle et s'est consacrée à lui 24h/24 = Lorsque son mari est devenu infirme, elle a consenti à ne pas extérioriser certains sentiments/besoins/désirs personnels et etc.

Does this help?

17. Jabote Senior Member

Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
    French from France
    Know what, egueule, I never thought about this other meaning !!! I do know it of course, but I did not think of it !

OK so now we DO need some context... edit this.. we have the context "se maîtriser"... then I would go with "to control oneself".

18. emac New Member

Scotland English
    bite the bullet is definitely appropriate here. Also possibly "swallow your pride"

19. zinc Senior Member

Marseille
    England/ English
    Merci Egueule et Jabote. I have learned something here. Espérant que Fetchezlavache a trouvé une réponse à sa question.

20. renel New Member

Canada
    Français & Canadian
    I like Rodger's choice for "prendre sur soi" in the defined context. As for "biting the bullet", IMHO it would be to harsh, like saying "I just shut up and did it", and "to soldier on" is to me more like "I persevered".

Just an opinion.

21. Staarkali

Staarkali Senior Member

Reading the various posts of this thread, it seems that prendre sur soi has no universal translation in English; it's even quite hard to make a list of all possible translations according to the context and level of language.

Anyone has an idea for prendre sur soi = prendre à sa charge ou encore de sa propre initiative

22. watergirl Senior Member

San Francisco CA
    English, U.S.A.
    staarkali,
    If you're looking for a translation for "prendre sur soi DE..." I would suggest the fairly literal rendering:

"to take it upon oneself to...."

"I took it upon myself to call in a photocopier repair person" -- to cite egueule's example above.

23. °° Cocotte °°

°° Cocotte °° Senior Member

Paris
    French (France)
    Among those many suggestions, I don't know which one I should use...
    I'm talking about G. who pays a visit to another man in jail. He has to "prendre sur lui" because the inmate gives him a hard time, but G. wants to stay dignified and to act as if nothing happened.
    What expression should I use ?

Thanks in advance :)

24. Gil Senior Member

Français, Canada
    Suggestion:
    to keep one's cool

25. Anna17300 Senior Member

France (17)
    french
    et que diriez-vous pour "je dois prendre sur moi"? "I have to soldier on" ??

26. zinc Senior Member

Marseille
    England/ English
    It's good, and if I heard it I would get what you are on about. Personally, if i'm in a situation where I get insulted or put-down, and I have no choice but to just accept it, I generally say (to myself) "just man-up and get on with it"...

27. RobertaLynn Senior Member

Sweden
    US English
    I would suggest, for future reference:

prendre sur soi: (just) grin and bear it
    prendre sur soi (de faire quelque chose): to take (it) upon oneself to do something
    As in, Jabote's quote of egueule above:
    Ja'i pris sur moi de faire venir qu'elqu'un pour réparer la photocopieuse =
    I took it upon myself to have the photocpier repaired.

28. serumen New Member

french
    bonjour, je ne trouve pas les mots en anglais pour dire "l'expression" :

"prend sur toi et ferme ta gueule". ( je m'excuse pour la vulgarité de la phrase :s)

si quelqu'un pourrais m'aider ce serais vraiment sympathique =)
    merci à vous

29. ytuped

ytuped Senior Member

French-Belgium
    Suggestion :
    "bear with it and shut (the hell) up"

30. fluffynette New Member

Arabic English French
    what about grin and bear it?

31. Ethno Junior Member

Australie
    French- France
    Bonjour,

Comment dit-on 'J'ai du prendre sur moi pour ne pas m'enerver.' en anglais svp?
    L'expression 'I had to bit my tongue' est-elle appropriee? (est-ce tongue ou autre chose d'ailleurs?)

Merci d'avance

32. AnnieF

AnnieF Senior Member

Angleterre
    English - British
    "I had to bite my tongue" is fine in this context.

33. Ethno Junior Member

Australie
    French- France
    Merci Annie :)

34. Itisi

Itisi Senior Member

Paris/Hastings UK
    English UK/French
    to bite the bullet

Partager cette page