1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Preposition: <by, in, on> the bus.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by NickJunior, Oct 6, 2007.

1. NickJunior Senior Member

Amérique du Nord
    cambodgien
    Hello All,

I'm undecided as to which preposition to use in this context. Please offer your suggestion. Which sentence below is correct?

1) I will go on the bus to the farm.

2) I will go in the bus to the farm.

3) I will go by (the?) bus to the farm.

If any of the above does not sound like natural English sentence, please offer your version.

Thanks

2. catinhat

catinhat Senior Member

Durban
    South Africa, English & Afrikaans
    Use the following rule for prepositions of travel:
    When walking, you travel on foot.
    With any transportation machine (such as a car, boat, plane, etc.), you travel by that machine.
    I travel by car.
    He will travel by boat.

If you are writing something, use "I will travel by bus to the farm". In speech, you can be more informal: "I am taking the bus to the farm."

I do hear "on" used as a preposition from time to time, but I recommend that you avoid using it.

3. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
  4. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
  5. Jayce Guillermo New Member

English

I'd say "by bus" since you are trying to say what mode of transportation you're going to use to get to the farm.

If you use the first two sentences, it would look like as if you are saying you are going to go through the bus by either passing "on" it or passing "in" it to get to the farm.

If you want to put the words "on the bus" in your sentence I think it would look and sound better if you say it as:

"I will be riding on the bus to get to the farm."

"I'm on the bus to the farm."

You cannot use the words "in the bus" because of some prepositional rulings unless you use those words with a different thought in a sentence.

6. Jayce Guillermo New Member

English

Sorry to butt-in but you need to use the preposition "on" in modes of transportation such as bus, ships, yacht, plane etc. because of the this preposition ruling wherein if the vehicle you're at has enough space for you to walk around then we use "on" but for any other vehicles such as cars, jeeps and such wherein you can't walk around then we have to use the word "in".

7. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    Hello Jayce Guillermo and welcome to WordReference :)
    I wonder where you find these very authoritative prepositional rulings, but they certainly don't apply when I go in the bus to the farm.

8. Jayce Guillermo New Member

English
  9. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    I looked at the blog, but I would not use it for reference.
    It is too rigid, and may be misleading you and others into believing that there is some kind of grammatical rule about prepositions and modes of transport.
    There isn't.
    There is nothing wrong with "in the bus". It is used less frequently than "on the bus", but that is a different matter. To say that you cannot use "in the bus" is wrong.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010