Preposition: ... <in, at> <the> hospital? [works in / at]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by smiling, Sep 24, 2006.

1. smiling Senior Member

As thread title...<< --- Preposition: ... <in, at> <the> hospital? [works in / at] --- >>

<< --- Which preposition should I use in the following eg. 'He works in/at the hospital'? --- >>
    thanks

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  2. Hockey13

Hockey13 Senior Member

Irvine, California
    AmEnglish/German
    I work at the hospital.

I would not be overly shocked if anyone ever told me that they work in the hospital if they don't work for the hospital, but for another company that has its offices set up in the hospital...for instance an orthopedist's office.

3. smiling Senior Member

thank you!

4. Hockey13

Hockey13 Senior Member

Irvine, California
    AmEnglish/German
    Di niente!

5. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    I don't think Hockey's is the only possible example of working in the hospital.
    I work in the hospital = my work is performed in the hospital building.
    I work at the hospital = my work is in or around the hospital (perceived as an institution as well as a building).
    Thus a hospital gardener works at the hospital but not really in the hospital (because the work is not within the building).

6. smiling Senior Member

...and then I can say both I'm in the hospital or at the hospital depending what I would like to stress..can't I?

7. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    yes

<< Please see Preposition hospital in the WR Dictionary >>

8. toryglory77 New Member

Russian, French
    Hi everybody,

I wonder if one could say "My sister's a nurse. She works in/at a hospital" ?
    The meaning I'd like to express is that "she is a hospital nurse and not a school/ a freelance / or whatever nurse. Her place of work is a hospital.

Would that be correct or one should use the definite article "the" and then say "My sister's a nurse. She works in/at the hospital" ?

thanks in advance.

9. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

You can certainly say "at a hospital," particularly if there's no reason to mention which hospital.

10. toryglory77 New Member

Russian, French
    Thanks for your help, JustKate!

11. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Interestingly, in this case, I would say she works in a hospital. :)

12. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    So would I, Copyright...:)

13. toryglory77 New Member

Russian, French
    Thank you!;)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  14. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

Both in and at work for me. There are probably specific contexts involving hospital in which I would favor one or the other, but this isn't one of them.