preposition in / to with body parts

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by CAPCH, Sep 3, 2013.

1. CAPCH

CAPCH Senior Member

Pucallpa, Peru
    Español
    Please help me with prepositios....which one is correct /is or to/

He received a shot /in his leg / to his leg
    He received a shot /in his arm / to his arm / or hand
    He received a shot /in his forehead/ to his forehead
    He received a shot /in his back / to his back
    He received a shot /in his head/ to his head

thanks for your help

2. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    "In" is the one I've always heard, not only when 'shot' refers to an 'injection' but also when it's a 'shot' with a firearm. :)

3. CAPCH

CAPCH Senior Member

Pucallpa, Peru
    Español
    In this case, all my sentences are "shot" with an firearm.

4. BrooklynBoy

BrooklynBoy Senior Member

English - Nueva York
    As micafe noted, whether firearm or syringe, you use "in."

5. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    I'm surprised by this.

In my version of English:

He received a shot in the arm. [He received an injection]

He received a bullet to the arm. [He was the victim of a gunshot]

He died from a shot to the head. [He died from a gunshot wound]

He was shot in the arm. [
    He was the victim of a gunshot]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  6. Bill Osler

Bill Osler Senior Member

North Carolina, USA
    English, USA
    Those all work over here as well.
    Between "in" and "to", which I prefer depends on what the verb is, and some of the combinations are more likely to show up in print than in speech, which is bound to confuse a learner, but I don't have a systematic explanation for why I prefer "in" or "to" in any specific case.

7. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    I would never say "he received a bullet to the arm." Either "he was shot in the arm" or "he was struck by a bullet in/to the arm."

8. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Maybe not but a writer for the New York Times would.

he stabbed a policeman, for which he received a bullet to the stomach and a prison sentence.
    MOVIE REVIEW - The Cultivation of Belief - Published: August 8, 2013
    http://movies.nytimes.com/2013/08/0...n-makhmalbafs-inquiry-into-religion.html?_r=0

As for other uses of "bullet to the", we have Sylvester Stallone's movie "Bullet to the head"

Bullet to the Head is a 2012 action film, written by Alessandro Camon and directed by Walter Hill
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullet_to_the_Head

9. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    That means that different people have different ways to say things... :cool: Interesting, huh?

10. echinocereus Senior Member

English United States
    In AE "got shot" is a common way to talk about damage to various parts of the body from the use of firearms: "He got shot in the arm, in the leg, in the back, in the head... "
    Un saludo.

11. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    The same is true in BE :thumbsup:

However the original question was specifically about "...a shot in the X" versus "...a shot to the X..." and the title of the thread was preposition in / to with body parts.

Here's a summary of my answer:

(a) They are both common phrases that are used internationally. With regard to the version with "to", try Googling "shot to the" hospital (including the quote marks around the first part but not around hospital) and you will find millions of results from all over the world.

(b)
    "...a shot in the X" usually refers to an injection although it can sometimes refer to a bullet wound.

(c) "...a shot to the..." almost always refers to a bullet wound however it can occasionally refer to injections when a specific area of the body is being treated.

Here's an example from a medical professional who should know what they are talking about.

I'm an ICU nurse who's cared for plenty of patients with gun shot wounds... A shot to the neck that nicked the carotid artery could easily result in loss of conscious[ness] in minutes and death in less than half an hour. A shot to the thigh that hit the femoral artery could also result in the victim exsanguinating in under thirty minutes.
    http://ask.metafilter.com/237795/For-a-story-What-kind-of-injuries-could-make-someone-bleed-to-death

12. CAPCH

CAPCH Senior Member

Pucallpa, Peru
    Español
    Thank you very much
    you all have helped me a lot