prepositions ending sentences in Dutch

Discussion in 'Nederlands (Dutch)' started by ElAjedrezEsLaVida, May 23, 2013.

1. ElAjedrezEsLaVida Senior Member

Manchester, UK
    inglés británico
    Is it against the rules of grammar, or at least, gramatically unstylistic, to place prepositions at the end of sentences in Dutch? I usually have not seen a sentence ending, for example, with met, voor, erop, etc. In English I prefer the old rule of placing prepositions at beginning of relative clauses, and in Romance languages it is extremely unaccpetable. But I am not sure about Dutch, if there is a stigma with that phenomenom.

2. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

I don't think there is a stigma: it just isn't as frequent as in English. But the ones I can think of are just considered to be correct.

These are a couple of examples:

Ik weet daar niets van.

Ik voel er niets voor.

Ik hoor er niets over.

3. ElAjedrezEsLaVida Senior Member

Manchester, UK
    inglés británico
    I suppose likewise it would be incorrect like some English speakers say instead of "With whom are you eating tomorrow?" or "For whom is this order?" they say "Who [sic] are you going with?" or "Who [sic] is this order for?". And Dutch the equivalent "Met wie morgen ga je eten?", "Voor wie is dit bestelling?" and switch it to "Wie morgen ga je eten mee?" and "Wie is dit bestelling voor?" would be incorrect.

4. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Yes, it would be incorrect. There would simply not be a living soul saying that.

PS; And I don't have any objection whatsoever against the English variants with the preposition at the end (in English, I mean). It's so common and so "English" that I find the gramatical rule that oposes to its use just ludicrous.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  5. bibibiben

bibibiben Senior Member

Amsterdam
    Dutch - Netherlands
    I can't imagine you invariably prefer the old rule of putting prepositions at the beginning of relative clauses in English. Doesn't "this is something with which I won't put up" sound rather bookish, even clumsy, compared to "this is something I won't put up with"?

Dutch relative clause structures don't allow prepositions in final position:
    This is a subject I don't want to talk about =
    :tick: Dit is een onderwerp waarover ik niet wil praten.
    :tick: Dit is een onderwerp waar ik niet over wil praten.
    :cross: Dit is een onderwerp waar ik niet wil praten over.

As you can see, the preposition (or rather 'prepositional adverb') is allowed to detach itself from 'waar', but it will never make it to the end of the clause, as that's the place where the verbs want to huddle together.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  6. bibibiben

bibibiben Senior Member

Amsterdam
    Dutch - Netherlands
    Yes, "wie is die bestelling voor" is incorrect, but you could say "waar is die bestelling voor?". "Waarvoor is die bestelling?" is equally possible, though.