present perfect v. present perfect continuous

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by trevhill, Apr 1, 2013.

1. trevhill New Member

Hi forum users.
    I wanted to ask for help learning about the present perfect continuous tense in portuguese. More specifically, what are the grammatical rules surrounding its construction. I have not been able to find a good primer online.

Is the construction of the present perfect continuous the same as the present perfect? (I believe the answer is yes, based on my examples below). If so, how can you determine the difference between perfect (I have studied) and perfect continuous (I have been studying)?

1. Eu tenho estudado muito ultimamente.
    1A. I have studied much lately (present perfect)
    1B. "I have been studying a lot lately" (present perfect continuous/progressive)

Example 2:

2. A Ana tem corrido muito.
    2A. Ana has run a lot. (present perfect)
    2B. Ana has been running a lot (present perfect continuous/progressive)

Example 3:

3. Maria tem cantado “Parabéns pra você”
    3A. Mary has sung “Happy Birthday” (present perfect)
    3B. Mary has been singing “Happy Birthday” (present perfect continuous/progressive)
  2. mexerica feliz

mexerica feliz Senior Member

É assim.
  3. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    Welcome to the forums. :)

Adding a little. Here is some posts on present perfect.
  4. patriota Senior Member

The simple past and present perfect are the ones with the same forms:

Estudei = I studied / have studied
    Ana correu = She ran / has run
    Maria cantou = She sang / has sung

See Vanda's link for more info.
  5. Joca

Joca Senior Member

Florianópolis, Brazil
    Brazilian Portuguese
    But I guess that in some cases/contexts both 1A and 1B (2A and 2B; 3A and 3B) translate well into 1 (2;3), no?

In many cases, ter + past participle can be replaced by the simple Present. Instead of ter + p.p., you can also use: vir + present participle (or gerund)

Tenho estudado muito ultimamente = Estudo muito ultimamente = Venho estudando muito ultimamente
  6. celso8 Member

Brazil / São Paulo

In your examples, what you call present perfect in English should be translated as pretérito perfeito in Portuguese. So:

I have studied = Eu estudei.
    Ana has run = Ana correu.
    Maria has sung = Maria cantou.

And the present perfect continuous/progressive as follows (I am not sure how we call it. Maybe presente composto):

I have been studying = Tenho estudado.
    Ana has been running = Ana tem corrido.
    Maria has been singing= Maria tem cantado.

There 's more to it but if you stick to these examples, you'll get around with few mistakes.
  7. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Sometimes both of them will make sense in a particular sentence — especially out of context (hence the contradictory replies you got) — but they are not the same in general. The present perfect tenho estudado implies a longer timeframe, and often a repetition, while the present perfect continuous tenho estado estudando, suggests more immediacy, a single event that is taking place as you speak, or that has just been interrupted but will be resumed shortly afterwards.