1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Present Represent difference

Discussion in 'English Only' started by bikoalive, Oct 14, 2007.

1. bikoalive Junior Member

South Africa
    What is the difference between Present and Represent?
    How do you use them correctly?

Thanks in advance.

2. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    In the sense that they are related by showing something to somebody. There is this difference; viz., Present is like introducing. You have a new daughter-in-law and at the wedding reception her mother is introduced. "Please let me Present Barbars' mother, Marion Smith." Represent is like authenticating something that is being introduced. You have just bought a new car and dropped by the barbershop. "Say, did I tell you that I bought a new convertible. Man! It represents the new small style for convertibles."

3. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

Represent can also be "standing in" for someone else, acting on their behalf or with their authority.

The ambassador represents his country at official functions. The ambassador doesn't present his country at official functions. :)

Have you tried looking at the WordReference dictionary, found at the top of each page? I recommend you look at "represent". It has many meanings.

4. bikoalive Junior Member

South Africa
    I understood. thank you!

5. Yichen

Yichen Senior Member

Chinese
    Can I use "stands for" to replace "represents" here?

Thank you all.

6. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    I wouldn't. I think "stand for" has to do more with symbols and meaning than representing at a conference, for example. But that's just my opinion.

7. _Yanni_ Junior Member

Chinese
    Hello Harry,

Does "present" in "present your story" or "present your thesis" mean something more than just introducing?

Context:

Historian Michael Wood will present a major new landmark series for BBC Two - The Great British Story: A People's History - charting Great Britain and Northern Ireland's remarkable past from the perspective of ordinary people.
    Executive Producer, Cassian Harrison, says: “We are delighted that Michael is presenting The Great British Story which promises to unlock our shared historical past through the eyes of ordinary people and hopefully encourage them to explore more about their own local history and their place within it.”

Thanks,
    Yanni