1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Preserved meats

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by seitt, Mar 26, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings

Here’s an excellent definition:
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_examples_of_preserve_...
    "Preserved meats" include any tinned (canned) meats, choritzo, pepperoni, salami (and any other cured "sausage" meats), beef jerky, smoked salmon and other smoked fish, and also types of fish preserved in brine (mackerel etc...).

I'm particularly interested in a term which would be suitable for salami, pepperoni etc., but if the term covers all the above, so much the better.

I had thought something like ‘konserve et’, ‘et konservesi’, but that seems to refer exclusively to tinned meat, therefore ruling out salami etc.

All the best, and many thanks,

Simon

2. Fenomenon New Member

Turkish
    "konserve et" can be used for "tinned/canned meat" but definitly cannot be used for salami or this kinds of meats, so i dont think that there is a general word for preserved meats

3. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    They are called "saklanmış et".

4. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks - if we are talking about a number of varieties, can we say "saklanmış etler" in the plural?

5. Reverence Senior Member

Turkish
    Actually, the term most commonly used nowadays is "şarküteri", borrowed from French. Since pork doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation in Turkey, "şarküteri" instead refers to any kind of processed and preserved meat product. "Salam", "sucuk", "sosis" and "pastırma" are the first products to come to mind when the word "şarküteri" is used, but it technically covers all manner of said products and also the stores/aisles where they're sold.

6. shafaq Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    "Konserve XX"; -as @fenomenon mentioned- is specifically for preserved and tinned or bottled food in Turkish.

For preserved but not tinned and bottled food; we use "işlenmiş gıda"; so direct equivalent of "preserved (but not tinned or bottled) meat" is "işlenmiş et" but it is a brand new word and not so popular publicly . Instead most of as use the name of the product itself... i.e. salam, sucuk, pastırma etc. Actually all; tinned or not, are "işlenmiş".

I never heard "saklanmış et" in that manner. What I got by it is "hidden or concealed meat (?)" at first glance... But; after a search on net for it; it has some few instances in that context. Thistype of meat :) might be product of compulsory purification mania enforced; especially until last 10 years.

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks, excellent!