Presidents, theologians, teachers to be...

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Feb 21, 2013.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I just came across the expression 'theologien en herbe', referring to a very young man ;-) showing some theological wisdom and about to, maybe aspiring, to become a theologian.

What kind of equivalents do you have in your language?
    - English: ... to be --- budding - but not with persons, I am afraid...
    - Dutch: in de dop (probably in the bud, though I find references to the shell: coming out of the shell), in spe.
    - French: en herbe (in the grass)
  2. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Usually we refer to the political leader whose party is ahead in latest polls before elections, as being «πρωθυπουργός εν αναμονή» [proθipur'ɣos en anamo'ni] lit. "prime-minister in waiting" (the structure is archaic, demonstrated by the use of the obsolete dative, «εν αναμονή»).
    For academia, we mostly use the set (again archaic) phrase, «εν τω γεννάσθαι» [en to ʝe'nasθe] lit. "in the making" (e.g. «θεολόγος εν τω γεννάσθαι» [θe.o'loɣos en to ʝe'nasθe]: "theologian in the making").
  3. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

In Finnish we use words such as teologinalku, poliitikonalku ("the beginning of a theologist/politician"; alku = beginning) to refer to children and young adults who have some talent and might enter these professions in the future. It's also possible to refer to a boy humorously as miehenalku (the beginning of a man), or to a disobedient child as kriminaalinalku (the beginning of a criminal).

I don't think we have an expression for people who just hope to become something (cf. in spe) and don't always have talent, apart from ehdokas/tarjokas/kandidaatti ("candidate").
  4. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hungarian, nothing interesting, leendő (to be) < lesz (become)
  5. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Thanks, all of you.

So none of those languages has a specific expressions referring to children hoping to become ... No problem, just curious !