Presidents, theologians, teachers to be...

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Feb 21, 2013.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I just came across the expression 'theologien en herbe', referring to a very young man ;-) showing some theological wisdom and about to, maybe aspiring, to become a theologian.

What kind of equivalents do you have in your language?
    - English: ... to be --- budding - but not with persons, I am afraid...
    - Dutch: in de dop (probably in the bud, though I find references to the shell: coming out of the shell), in spe.
    - French: en herbe (in the grass)

2. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Usually we refer to the political leader whose party is ahead in latest polls before elections, as being «πρωθυπουργός εν αναμονή» [proθipur'ɣos en anamo'ni] lit. "prime-minister in waiting" (the structure is archaic, demonstrated by the use of the obsolete dative, «εν αναμονή»).
    For academia, we mostly use the set (again archaic) phrase, «εν τω γεννάσθαι» [en to ʝe'nasθe] lit. "in the making" (e.g. «θεολόγος εν τω γεννάσθαι» [θe.o'loɣos en to ʝe'nasθe]: "theologian in the making").

3. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

Finnish
    In Finnish we use words such as teologinalku, poliitikonalku ("the beginning of a theologist/politician"; alku = beginning) to refer to children and young adults who have some talent and might enter these professions in the future. It's also possible to refer to a boy humorously as miehenalku (the beginning of a man), or to a disobedient child as kriminaalinalku (the beginning of a criminal).

I don't think we have an expression for people who just hope to become something (cf. in spe) and don't always have talent, apart from ehdokas/tarjokas/kandidaatti ("candidate").

4. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hungarian, nothing interesting, leendő (to be) < lesz (become)

5. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Thanks, all of you.

So none of those languages has a specific expressions referring to children hoping to become ... No problem, just curious !