presumed in context

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Russula, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Russula Junior Member

Czech
    Dear members,

I know that there is a strict limit to helping with homework but I think I am not going to break it if I ask you about following:

I am to rewrite the following sentence using "presumed" in it while keeping the same meaning:

Most people think that the mountaineer must have died in the blizzard.

My suggestion: The mountaineer is presumed to have died in the blizzard by most people. (but I am not sure if it is correct :( )

Please, could you help me with it?

Thank you.

2. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    You have changed the sentence from the active voice to the passive voice. The easier answer is to substitute "think" for "presume".

3. Russula Junior Member

Czech
    Well, yes I know. But I am not supposed to change the form of the word. And in the original sentence, "think" is in present form while "presumed" is in pasive form. :(

4. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    Then you've got the right answer. Do you have reason to suppose that it's in anyway 'iffy'? :)

5. Russula Junior Member

Czech
    I am sorry I am not sure if I have got the point of 'iffy'.

I just wasn't sure if this was the only (correct) way of using "presumed" in the rewritten sentence. It sounds a bit awkward to me (as a non-native).

6. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    "iffy" = "not quite correct"

It sounds a bit awkward to me too, so you are right to think it could be improved. The only small thing wrong with it is the order of the phrases. Most people is the subject of think, and it is better to keep the original subject close to the verb when you change to the passive. So you have worked out a correct answer which you could improve.