1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

principal/director/ manager/ headmaster

Discussion in 'English Only' started by rosecan, Feb 21, 2007.

1. rosecan New Member

Turkey/Turkish
    I'm confused. What are the difference between these words? The principal of the school or the manager of the school or the others? which one is true?
    thanks!!

2. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

Florida USA
    USA English (southern)
    They can all be correct.

3. sloopjc Senior Member

UK English
    In my humble experience, a principal is the AE equivalent of a BE headmaster.
    A manager is in charge of a team of employees, and a director operates between the manager and the Chairman - in the UK that is. :)

4. Siberia

Siberia Sibermod

UK-Wales - English
    Once upon a time there was a Welsh headmaster in charge of a school and the principal headed the school or college in England. Then times changes and schools and particularly colleges became businesses that had to be managed by managers and directors were in charge of departments like the director of studies.
    Hope my story helps you

5. halthecomputer Senior Member

Canada
    Canadian English
    In Canadian English, the person in charge of a school would usually be called a principal. He might be called a headmaster if it was a boarding school or perhaps if the school wanted to sound pretentious. He would never be called a director or manager. I believe AE is similar.

6. mplsray Senior Member

The terms principal and headmaster are used in the same manner in the US. However, educational manager is also sometimes used, especially in the case of charter schools.

A charter school is a type of public school which is to some extent independent from the rest of a city's public school system. And on this Web site I found one charter school which uses the term director instead: