1. Mini Moocher Junior Member

"pour une année de travail incomplète le collaborateur a droit au 13e salaire pro rata temporis"
    I don't understand the meaning of temporis at all - the translation I have found is 'time-delay' or 'temporary' which doesn't make sense. so I have "for an incomplete year of work the employee has a right to a 13th salary on a pro rata basis"
    Any help most welcome,

2. Blancheneige

Blancheneige Senior Member

Lac Léman, Switzerland
    Switzerland - French
    "pro rata temporis" means in proportion to the time (worked) during the year.
    If the worker started on July 1, thus working 6 out of 12 months in the company, his 13th salary will be : 6/12 of a full month's salary.
    Does it make it any clearer ?
  3. Mini Moocher Junior Member

oh, OK, so in English we would just say 'pro rata', so I don't need to translate the word temporis then.
    Thanks very much Blancheneige (again;-) ). By the way is this particularly Swiss french rather than French french?
  4. Blancheneige

Lac Léman, Switzerland
    Switzerland - French
    Pro rata temporis ? I honestly don't know ;). I have seen it in some Swiss work contracts, but I don't think we can generalise this to French Switzerland as a whole. And we'd need a French national to tell us what formulation French work contracts use in that respect.
  5. mariebruxelles

mariebruxelles Senior Member

Belgium - French
    It's a Latin expression that we use here, too. As a legal secretary, I see it very often, but it is not used/understood by everybody.
  6. Mini Moocher Junior Member

Thanks Marie, that would be why I found it hard to find a translation.
  7. Blancheneige

Lac Léman, Switzerland
    Switzerland - French
    Actually, Mini, in such cases you might want to try and google the expression, and you'd most likely find what you need. Look at this, for instance http://www.eurofound.europa.eu/emire/FRANCE/PRORATA-FR.html (it gives a good definition of the term, but, to be honest, I never heard the word "proratisation" before. Euro-jargon ?)
    I hadn't realised you were asking if "pro rata temporis" was a Swiss French expression - I had understood you wondered if the occurrence of the expression was frequent in Swiss French contracts ;-)
  8. Mini Moocher Junior Member

I hadn't realised that 'pro rata temporis' was a whole phrase - I only googled for 'temporis' and because I was struggling to find a translation I wondered if it was because it was less common and therefore perhaps a result of being Swiss French and because its provenance is Swiss. The link you've supplied is very useful - thank you.
  9. Stefan Ivanovich Senior Member

Paris, France
    Pro rata means in proportion to something: ...to allot the shares on a pre-emptive basis to existing shareholders pro rata to their holdings...

Pro rata temporis means in proportion to (some kind of) duration: Maintenance revenue is recognized pro rata temporis over the maintenance service period.(source)

The latter is used whenever the former would or could be misleading, and in contexts where unambiguousness is a state of mind, as in legalese.
  10. Punky Zoé

Punky Zoé Senior Member

France - français

Incidente : à propos de proratiser (cité plus haut ou ... plus bas). Ce verbe, qui n'est certainement pas reconnu par les lexicologues, signifie faire/compter au prorata. Il est assez fréquemment utilisé dans le domaine du droit du travail, en matière de salaire, d'indemnités, de temps de travail (effet des défuntes lois sur la réduction du temps de travail ?).
  11. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Français, Québec ♀
    I French to English, the GDT translates prorata temporis as "in proportion to time" and gives this specification :

However if you type pro rata temporis on the English to French side, you will see that it is left in latin, in expressions such as

surprime au prorata temporis = pro rata temporis additional premium

Note that in French, prorata is usually spelled one word.