1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

procedere legalmente

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by salmi71, Aug 2, 2007.

1. salmi71 New Member

italy
    Ciao, come si traduce in inglese " in caso di mancato pagamento il mio cliente procederà legalmente nei vostri confronti" ?

Grazie.

2. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    In the event of non-payment, my client will take appropriate legal action against you.

3. konungursvia Senior Member

Toronto
    Canada (English)
    In case of non-payment, my client will initiate legal proceedings against you.

4. salmi71 New Member

italy
    Grazie mille ho mi vanno bene entrambe

5. gettingby Senior Member

Italy
    AmEnglish
    Hello! I have a question using procedere with regard to the law, so this seemed a good thread to attach it to. I can't give too much context as this is a confidential paper.
    In Italian it's possible to say procedere nei confronti di (name) ...meaning, I think, undertake legal action (maybe the madre lingua can confirm?).
    We would say "start proceedings against (name)" wouldn't we? HOWEVER, this makes me think of a lawsuit. I need to translate a police document, so it needs to mean
    "investigation, then arrest" ..must I add "criminal proceedings" to get that across? Thanks.

6. Tunalagatta Moderator

Blighty
    English - England
    Hello,

Which direction are you translating from --> into? What is the original phrase / sentence that is causing you trouble, and can you give it to us in full (confidential info aside)? It's a little unclear as it stands.

7. gettingby Senior Member

Italy
    AmEnglish
    Hi Tunalagatta,
    From Italian to English. It's a letter rogatory with text something more or less like "Nell'ambito del procedimento penale xxx, relativo alla vicenda di xxx, stiamo procendendo nei confronti della Signora x"

8. alicip

alicip Senior Member

Formello-Roma-Italia
    Italiano ITA-Romeno ROU-Inglese AmE
    If this is a letter rogatory/rogatory letter/letter of request, I am sure you are aware that letters rogatory can be used both in civil and criminal matters, and have been used in administrative matters as well. Assuming that Signora X is being taken to court for a criminal offence, I believe you could translate it as follows:
    "start legal proceedings against Signora X" or "take legal action against Signora X".
    Definition of letter rogatory:
    "Letters rogatory is a formal communication in writing sent by the Court in which action is pending to a foreign court or Judge requesting the testimony of a witness residing within the jurisdiction of that foreign court may be formally taken thereon under its direction and transmitted to the issuing court making such request for use in a pending legal contest or action."