1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

proceso comisural

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by fran06, Apr 25, 2013.

1. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian Italy
    Hi All,

I hope you are well. I would need a little help with the sentence below please.
    Context: I'm translating a pamphlet on a new medical procedure. The research conducted on this procedure shows:

Reducción de la frecuencia de la repetición del proceso comisural, dentro de la pelvis de un 67,3%; en un grupo de control de los pacientes, a un 25,7% para el grupo de base.

My very wild attempt (as I really couldn't find anything explaining what the commisural process is. Moreover, I feel like the punctuation is wrong.)

Reduction of the commisural process repetition rate in the pelvis, in a control group by 67.3% and in an experimental group by 25.7%.

Thank you
    Fran

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  2. LVRBC Senior Member

English-US, standard and medical
    A commissure is a line where two things come together. Scanning briefly through the medical literature, I have seen the term "commissural process" used twice to indicate scarring with contracture but only in works translated from another language. It is not an expression in use here. I would guess that it means "reduction of frequency of recurrent contracture formation in the pelvis." I emphasize that this is only a guess. (BTW, control has only one l. In English it's 67.3% - period, not comma) If there is reduction in frequency, the rate must be 67.3% in the control group compared to 25.7% in the intervention group, as you indicate. I agree that the original is quite confusing and strangely punctuated.

3. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian Italy
    Thank you for your help, I really appreciated it.

Fran