proceso comisural

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by fran06, Apr 25, 2013.

1. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian Italy
    Hi All,

I hope you are well. I would need a little help with the sentence below please.
    Context: I'm translating a pamphlet on a new medical procedure. The research conducted on this procedure shows:

Reducción de la frecuencia de la repetición del proceso comisural, dentro de la pelvis de un 67,3%; en un grupo de control de los pacientes, a un 25,7% para el grupo de base.

My very wild attempt (as I really couldn't find anything explaining what the commisural process is. Moreover, I feel like the punctuation is wrong.)

Reduction of the commisural process repetition rate in the pelvis, in a control group by 67.3% and in an experimental group by 25.7%.

Thank you
    Fran

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  2. LVRBC Senior Member

English-US, standard and medical
    A commissure is a line where two things come together. Scanning briefly through the medical literature, I have seen the term "commissural process" used twice to indicate scarring with contracture but only in works translated from another language. It is not an expression in use here. I would guess that it means "reduction of frequency of recurrent contracture formation in the pelvis." I emphasize that this is only a guess. (BTW, control has only one l. In English it's 67.3% - period, not comma) If there is reduction in frequency, the rate must be 67.3% in the control group compared to 25.7% in the intervention group, as you indicate. I agree that the original is quite confusing and strangely punctuated.

3. fran06

fran06 Senior Member

Italy
    Italian Italy
    Thank you for your help, I really appreciated it.

Fran