produit clé en main

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by cabdid, Sep 26, 2006.

1. cabdid Junior Member

france english
    Hello,

I am looking for a good translation of "clé en main" as in the phrase "le groupe est composé d'une multitude de sociétés afin de proposer à ses clients investisseurs un produit "clé en main"".

Apparently, it refers to a property that is ready for immediate use and in the case that I am translating, one for which all the taxation papers have been prepared in advance by the developer. My problem is that I need to find a short phrase/translation that says all the above as it is for a powerpoint presentation and there is no space to elaborate.

Does anyone have any good ideas? Thanks.

2. doodlebugger Senior Member

France
    Clé en main = turnkey.

3. cabdid Junior Member

france english
    Thanks. I always thought turnkey had a different meaning but I just looked it up on the Internet and it describes this project perfectly.

4. LeMoineau

LeMoineau Junior Member

Jura, Suisse
    Français, Suisse
    En fait, on trouve souvent des entreprises qui proposent des :

Turn key solutions

ou

Turnkey solutions

ou encore

Turn-key solutions

ou même, plus simplement

T.K.S.

J'ignore si un terme officiel existe dans la terminologie anglophone, puisque personne ne semble d'accord... Quelqu'un peut-il répondre ?

moineau.

5. cabdid Junior Member

france english
    Thanks moineau, guess I should have checked the Internet first!

6. alisonp Senior Member

London
    English - UK
    I thought the term was "key-ready", but you'd need to double-check that.

7. Governor Junior Member

Sydney
    Australia, English.
    Thanks for this information, guys! Was just reading an article about nightclubs in Le Monde and found this expression too.

Turnkey (ie. ready for immediate use) is very helpful!

Haven't heard of key-ready.

Gov.

8. bullwinkle Senior Member

France
    English (UK)
    Wow, I learn something new everyday on this forum!
    :cool:

I just wanted to add that 'turnkey' has another meaning too, albeit one more associated with Dickens than 21st century service provision.
    ;)

'Turnkey' can also refer to the person in charge of keys in a prison. I know it's of no real use to this discussion, but thought it might help a very confused translator in the future!
    :)