professeur titulaire

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by coolchick, Jan 26, 2007.

1. coolchick

coolchick Senior Member

Vancouver, BC, Canada
    English/French, Canada
    Bonsoir,
    svp me traduire en anglais. je ne sais pas ce que c'est:

professeur titulaire

(la phrase complete est : professeur titulaire de stratégie)

I believe titulaire means tenured, but would I then say:

Tenured professor of strategy?

It is at the end of a letter, and it is how the person wrote their title. I just want to accurately translate their title, so as not to insult them! He is a Montreal university professor, I should also point out.

Thanks!
    Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
  2. ChiMike Senior Member

Chicago USA
    USA, English
    Puisque vous êtes au Canada, il se peut que ce dictionnaire et la définition vous soient utile (ce dictionaire, pour les termes techniques est des plus utiles en général):

http://gdt.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/ficheOqlf.aspx?Id_Fiche=26503594
    Seems like "professeur titulaire" is someone with a B.A. or B.S. teaching in a secondary school. For primary schools, the Office québecois recommends: instituteur, institutrice.

3. Aupick

Aupick Senior Member

Strasbourg, France
    UK, English
    In France a professeur titulaire is a "qualified teacher" ("licensed teacher" in the US?), someone who has passed the CAPES or agrégation and successfully made it though their training year.

4. esprit Senior Member

English, Canada
    Hmm... I teach at a secondary school in Ontario. For me, my title "professeur titulaire" is translated as "homeroom teacher" - it's the teacher who has the class for the first period of the day.

However, for your case, homeroom teacher would not be appropriate, because I have only ever heard that in the context of secondary schools. A university professor would not have that title in English.

5. sapin Junior Member

BC, Canada
    Français (Canada)
    In Canada and Quebec, a "professeur titulaire" is a "full professor", a tenured professor (or just "professor").

It is absolutely not someone with a BA of BS in a secondary school. Neither is it equivalent to a "Chargé de classe" as the Office de la langue française seems to suggest. A "professeur titulaire" / "full professor" is the highest rank for a university professor, and some may be very insulted if you mistake them for a "chargé de cours" or something else.

a+

6. wildan1

wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo

I agree (somewhat) with sapin and Mike, but I think the specifics of each country's national/provincial/regional educational systems will make this a hard term to translate in just one way.

In the US higher education system, you have
    tenured faculty - meaning that they have attained a lifelong appointment to the university faculty where they teach. In US terminology, that usually means that an assistant professor (not tenured) is promoted to associate professor (tenured for life if s/he stays in that university).

full professor, which is a tenured faculty member who has been promoted to the highest rank on the basis of his/her accomplishments (mostly publications).

But in my experience in France, "professeur titulaire" can be for pre-university level teachers. There really isn't a direct equivalent in the US since there is no central or national education system. You can be tenured (of sorts) in your school district, but it does not automatically convey if you move somewhere else.

Maybe other English-speaking countries have a simpler system--sorry.

7. ChiMike Senior Member

Chicago USA
    USA, English
    There is no question at all that sapin is correct about the use of this term at universities in Québec. It appears that I misread the inquiry that was being made and thought it applied to secondary education.:eek: As the term applies to higher education, there is no doubt: full professor. Thank you sapin.:)

As to secondary education, there appears to be some problem. […] I have no idea if or how, in fact, the term "professeur titulaire" is used for secondary school teachers in Québec.:confused: I do recall that secondary school students whom I know in Montreal do call their teachers: professeur, but I have never heard "titulaire" added to it, but I have never had a formal discussion about the matter with anyone.;)

[…]

8. sapin Junior Member

BC, Canada
    Français (Canada)
    wildan: Of course, I was talking about Quebec, this was what the original question was about. All I know about university titles in France is that they are very complicated...

ChiMike: In Quebec we call primary and secondary school teachers "professeur", it is equivalent in this case to "teacher" in english.
    Un professeur peut être "titulaire" d'une classe, c'est à dire qu'il/elle est en charge d'un groupe d'élèves. Mais on n'utilise "professeur titulaire" seulement pour les professeurs d'université.

9. ÔSky Junior Member

France
    Bonsoir à tous,

Je cherche la traduction exacte de professeur tituliare et directrice de centre de recherche.

Quelqu'un pourrait il m'aider

Merci d'avance

10. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    senior professor