Pronouns used as emphasis after pronominal suffixes

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by Josh_, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    In Arabic a pronoun can be used after a pronominal suffix for emphasis, such as:

أنا أحبك

ana uHibbuka.
    أنا أحبك أنت
    ana uHibbuka anta
    I love you (emphasized); I love you and only you.
    (ka is the pronominal suffix)

هم يعرفوني (أنا)
    hum ya3rafuunii (ana)
    They know me
    (nii is that pronominal suffix)

So I was wondering if pronouns be used as emphasis after a pronominal suffix In Hebrew as well? If not, how would one emphasis a statement like these?

אני אוהב אותך
    אני אוהב אותך את

הם מכירים אותי
    הם מכירים אותי אני

2. מנחם Junior Member

Canada
    English, Canada
    I don't think this sentence carries the meaning that you want it to have.

Let me try to translate it better:

אני אוהב אותך ורק אותך!

You are here using 'You-Feminine' as a direct object and not a subject. I think, therefore, the repetition, after 'and only' should also take the direct object pronomial form: אותך.

Anyone care to verify this??

3. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    I realize that is not what I wrote down. I was just using the (and only you) to show emphasis.

So, I guess, from what you say one cannot add the pronoun in order to give more emphasis then, right?

4. מנחם Junior Member

Canada
    English, Canada
    The only time i've ever seen repetition used for emphasis is in the תורה

:לדוגמה

"סקל יסקל"

" ... he shall surely be stoned" (שמות, 19:13)

It's a strange literary device. When I look at it from a literal angle, it almost seems like it's saying "You must stone, he will be stoned!". However, in every english translation i've seen, it seems to repeat the action to emphasize that it must be done. (Just as an update, I realized that the second conjugation of סקל is probably a נפעל conjugation of סקל, meaning that an action is going to be done but without a specified person to do the action).

So it seems that if you want to emphasize someone (like in that very romantic thought you typed out :D ) then you're going to have to add the necessary words for it : ורק אותך (and only you)

- מנחם

5. מנחם Junior Member

Canada
    English, Canada
    I found another example of a repetition. This time it's maybe a little closer to what you were saying.

"עשה שלום במרומיו, הוא יעשה שלום עלינו, ועל כל ישראל, ואמרו אמן"

"He who makes peace in his heights, may he make peace upon us, and upon all Israel, and now respond 'Amen'."

Very popular line in prayer. If you look at the hilighted part in the hebrew line, you'll see that it seems like the הוא is not needed. יעשה means 'he will make', but maybe adding the pronoun before it changes the meaning to 'may he make'? I'm actually not to certain about this one, so maybe someone else should clarify :)

- מנחם

6. noali

noali Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    the "may" suggestion, I'm afraid , is..not correct. nice try :)

The purpose of the "hu" is to emphasize that it is him and not someone else. something like:
    "he who makes peace in his hights, he is the one who will make peace upon us..."
    I'm 99% sure, but it would be nice to get a second opinion.

7. amikama

amikama sordomodo

ישראל
    עברית
    I agree with noali :)