1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Pronunciation: 不

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by Alxmrphi, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Hi all,

I'm fairly new to Mandarin and I have just purchased this tool and I am on the third lesson and it's talking about negating verbs and it only uses pinyin (no characters) and the thing it uses for is not bù like I've seen on other sites, but bú (rising tone instead of falling). Now, I know that when you have two third-tones together the first one transforms into a rising tone because it's easier to pronounce that way. Is there some rule that would change the falling stress to become rising stress (it occurs just before yào) or is this software just plain wrong? (It's telling me that I don't want = Wǒ bú yào.)

Xiè xie.

2. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    Here is the rule for when bù to become bú:

If "bù" comes before a fourth tone (like "yào" in your post ), it becomes "bú" (Before all other tones, it stays as "bù").

Some examples: 我不去 (wǒ bú qù),我不做 (wǒ bú zuò), etc.
    Note that many textbook still print "bù", regardless of the change in the tone.

3. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Aha, so that's the reason!

So third tones don't occur next to each other, first one becomes second tone, and two fourth tones don't occur together, first one becomes second tone.
    That also explains why I'm sure I must have seen bù before other fourth tones if people still print it that way. It makes a lot more sense now! It's so confusing to be told the absolute importance of tones and then see the same ones changing in different explanations on different sites and in different books.

4. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    No, there is no such a rule. We're talking specifically about the negative "bù" here (You'll come across another one but it's better to just learn about "bù" for the time being.)

5. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Ohh, just with !
    Thanks for pointing that out!

6. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    In addiction, I would say that in the middle of two verbs (usually the same) and in the end of a sentence 不 carries a light tone: 来不来,要不要,知道不?,好不?

Something unrelated: the tone sandhi of 一 (yi1/yi2/yi4/yi0) is even more complex! ;)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  7. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    Too much is not good enough. Learning one at a time is!!! :cool: :)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012