Pronunciation: 大行普賢菩薩

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by baosheng, Sep 23, 2013.

1. baosheng Senior Member

Canada, English

I was recently looking up the name of Bodhisattva and noticed the name of "Samantabhadra Bodhisattva" was preceded by the characters "大行" in Chinese: 大行普賢菩薩. (Is this an honorific, similar to "The Most Reverend/Venerable"?)

我想问一下: Should it be pronounced da4xing2 or da4hang2?

Thanks in advance/谢谢!
  2. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Mandarin 國語
    I pronounce da4xing2 because 行 in 大行普賢菩薩 refers to "action, practice 實踐" as in 修行 (= 修習實踐), 體行 (= 親自實踐) and 行願 (= 實踐誓願). In Buddhism, Mañjuśrīkumārabhūta 文殊菩薩 represents "wisdom" whereas Samantabhadra 普賢菩薩 represents "actions 實踐". The latter is known for his "ten great vows" (十大願) that he put into practice 實踐 in his path to full Buddhahood. The term 大行 da4xing2 was also used in ancient times as a temporary posthumous title for a recently deceased emperor or empress (e.g., 大行皇后).
    行 hang2 means "trade" (e.g., 行業), "ranking order" (e.g., 排行), and "column" (e.g., 行列, 太行山 tai4hang2shan1).
    行 xing4 emphasizes "characters" (e.g., 操行, 德行, 品行). 行 xing2 in 大行普賢菩薩 refers to specific "deeds" or "actions" (e.g., 行為 xing2wei2), not a person's "characters".
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  3. baosheng Senior Member

Canada, English
    谢谢你的帮助, Skatinginbc! Your explanation helps me a lot! I think I will always know "xing2 vs hang2" from now on :)