Pronunciation: 花儿乐队

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by baosheng, Jan 27, 2013.

1. baosheng Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Hello/大家好,

Somebody sent me a song from the band 花儿乐队 a few days ago and I was curious as to how to pronounce the band's name.

Is the first part, 花儿, read as one syllable? (huar1 = flower) or is it two syllables? (hua1er2 = flower children?... or perhaps: ['a style of folk song popular in Gansu, Qinghai and Ningxia', according to my dictionary] ?)

Thanks/谢谢!

2. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    I think it's more likely to be a style of folk song as your dictionary says. In that case, it should be pronounced as "hua1er2".

3. zhg Senior Member

Chinese
    It's a matter of personal peference. To my knowledge,the band is from Northern China,so maybe the one syllable version sounds more idiomatic.

4. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

It doesn't matter too much whether you pronounce it "hua1er2" or "hua'er1".
    Since it's a band's name, considering to be more "formal", maybe more people prefer "hua1er2". But the band was based on Beijing, where people like the r-coloring a lot, so...it really doesn't matter.
    hua1 er2: formal style. Used in nursery rhymes etc.
    hua'er1: northern spoken style. Used in daily speeches where people prefer r-coloring.
    hua1: universal style. Used in daily speeches where people don't prefer r-coloring.

5. irisjuly New Member

chinese
    yes, as a band name, the pronunciation is not formal, so that would be 2 syllable: hua1er2. and the meaning is flower.
    by the way, the explanation in your dictionary is just a name of TV SHOW which plays in Gansu, Qinghai n Ningxia, some like the show "
    American Idol" or "X factor"

是的,作为一个乐队的名字,花儿乐队中花儿的发音是非常规的。所以应该按照
    hua1er2这样来发音,并且,他的意思就是flower(花)
    你词典中提及的解释,是一个电视选秀节目的名字,类似于美国的
    "American Idol" 或 "X factor"

6. baosheng Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    It looks like both pronunciation are used. This makes things easier (since both are correct :D)!

Thank you, everyone, for your replies! (and even a bilingual reply too!)

7. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    Interesting that so many people accept the pronunciation hua1er2. I thought the 儿 should be separated in pronunciation only when it means "son"...

8. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    That is what I think it means in my earlier post: 儿 as in "儿童", and not as in 儿化.

9. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    今晚我累了,都不看OP而瞎回复……尽请谅解。

10. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

分开来读的“儿”,经常作为童谣中单字名词的附加尾韵出现,占一个字位,没实意。比如:花儿、草儿、鸟儿、鱼儿、虫儿、话儿……

11. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin 國語
    It is a proper noun and therefore the "correct" pronunciation is how the members of the band call it. Based on a search of the Youtube clips, they called their own band "huar" (one syllable).
    It is possible but unlikely as the English translation for the band name is “The Flowers”, not “Children of Flowers”. And the fact that they call their own band “huar” furthers diminishes the possibility of “children”.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2013
  12. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    This is interesting and I'll definitely have a look, but according to a number of well-known dictionaries I've looked up, the pronunciation for this type of folk songs is huā'ér (2 syllables). You can see this pronunciation in the two online dictionaries listed on this page: http://www.nciku.com/search/zh/detail/花儿/120715