1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Pronunciation: 花(儿)

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by afx, Jan 19, 2013.

1. afx Senior Member

slovak
    你好,

As far as I know flower are 花, pronounced as huā. But in Pimsleur, they pronounce them as huār.
    Does this mean that flowers can also be 花儿, or is this huar some other character?

If I am right about
    花儿, does this apply also to other nouns, so that I can from time to time see them with
    at the end, or is this just for flowers?

谢谢你的答

2. baosheng Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    Hello afx,

花儿 is the Beijing pronunciation of 花 (which serves to differentiate it from the verb 花,as in 花钱). It might also be used in other Northern dialects... (I'll let the native speakers confirm!). I quite like 儿话音 (adding the "儿" to the end of certain words) and use it a bit myself. However, I think that the pronunciation 花 is slightly more standard than 花儿 (which is more casual).

Other examples of 儿话音 er2hua4yin1 are: 点儿 (as in 一点儿 vs 一点), 那儿 vs 那里, 哪儿 vs 那里, 公园儿 vs 公园, etc. There are many others as well. I think that Beijingers probably do it more than people from other regions (but also most of Northern China, Sichuan dialects... and others, I'm sure!).

It can also be for measure words (量词): 一瓶儿 yi pingr2
    interrogative words: 哪儿 (as listed above)
    but as you say, it is usually for nouns.

Note that if the syllable ends in a consonant, the "r" sound replaces it (and can also modify the vowel too sometimes).
    公园 gongyuan --> 公园儿 which is properly written: gong1yuanr2 (although the "n" is silent). The "n" sound goes away.
    The syllable 园儿 yuanr2 (silent 'n', once again), in its most common modern pronunciation (excluding CCTV announcers, etc) rhymes with 花儿 (flower) opposed to 元 yuan2 (currency unit). (rhyming is referring to the vowel sound only, not the tone)

You will find some more information on this phenomenon on the following page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhua

I hope this helps!

3. Lucia_zwl

Lucia_zwl Senior Member

@baosheng: Your explanation was excellent!!:thumbsup: It's much more detailed than what I can think of~
    Yes, 儿化音 is common in Northern dialects, esp. in Beijing, Tianjin and Hebei.

There's only one thing I wanna add:
    Sometimes 花儿 is pronounced as "huā ér". For example, when you're reading a poem aloud, singing a certain song or whatever, where an extra syllable is required, like "太阳当空照,花儿对我笑"(a lyric from a children's song:p). But this is very rare and we seldom say like this in daily life.

@afx, or 谢谢你的回复(reply):)