Pronunciation: 高档

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by baosheng, Feb 26, 2013.

1. baosheng Senior Member

Canada, English

I have a question about the pronunciation of the word "高档". (of which I've forgotten the exact meaning actually.. I suppose it means that something is of "high quality"?) I heard it on TV a few days ago with the pronunciation gao1dang3 yet the dictionary also mentions gao1dang4.

Are both of these pronunciations common? Would this difference in pronunciation be regional or rather one of formality? (assuming it is one of those two!)

Thanks in advance/谢谢!
  2. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

You are right, baosheng, it's "high-quality" or "high-class". The dictionary marks gao1dang4 while some people keep saying gao1dang3.
    档 means 档次. Likely, some people say dang4ci4 and the others say dang3ci4. Dictionary would mark "dang4" as the correct one.
  3. baosheng Senior Member

Canada, English
    Thanks for your reply, SuperXW! Which one would you prefer yourself? Do you usually say gao1dang4?
  4. ridgemao Senior Member

Mandarin Chinese
    I grew up in beijing, and for me I think the two pronunciations are correct. But I still prefer to say gaodang3 in most situations.

Nowdays beijing are full of people from all parts of china, you will hear many different accents on the street, so the difference between gaodang3 and gaodang4 for a local people is

You should follow the dictionary's pronunciation, I remember when I was at school, there are some examination questions to test our pronunciation against the dictionary, which were a little difficult for me and my classmates.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  5. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

Baosheng, I grew up in beijing too. So my experience was quite similar to ridgemao.
  6. Pierre_zane Junior Member

Yes, both common among Putonghua speakers.
    It is the latter. If we were to talk about regional differences, there would be a much wider variety that could not be spelled out by pinyin adequately.