pronunciation - B's & V's

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Svengali, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Svengali

Svengali New Member

USA English
    ¡Feliz Año Nuevo Amigos!

I have read that in Castilian Spanish the B's & V's sound the same. In the initial position the sound is like an English B. In other positions (e.g. invierno - winter; huevo- egg) the sound is halfway between B & V, except for after M, where the B sounds like the English B (e.g. hombre - man).

Is this how they pronounce it in Spain?

I know that in Mexico and other parts of Latin America the B's & V's are pronounced the same, but closer to a V sound or a hard V sound.

Or not? :confused:

2. mhp Senior Member

American English
  3. JB

JB Senior Member

Santa Monica, CA, EEUU
    English (AE)
    Mr. Svengali,
    In addition to the links provided below, please enter pronunciation and pronunciación in the WR Dictionary (above) and you will see find an abundance of previous discussions on this topic.

After reading those, if you have an additional specific question, please feel free to open a new thread. For the present, this thread is closed, to avoid needless duplication.

4. CoolCatlox Junior Member

English-USA
    Moderator note: This question has been merged with another thread with the same question.

Hola!
    Estoy ensenando un clase de ingles básico a gente español y no puedo explicarse el sonido de "v." Sugestiones?

Hello!
    I am teaching a basic english course to spanish speakers and I can't explain the sound V to them. Any suggestions?

Gracias!
    Calla

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2009
  5. Agró

Agró Senior Member

High Navarre
    Spanish-Navarre
    Tell them to press the upper lip against the lower teeth and let the air flow smoothly.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  6. Bandama Senior Member

Spanish
    Most Spanish speakers are able to utter this sound since it's often overcorrectly pronounced this way at schools during dictations to help young learners distinguish between the two sounds.

However, if they can't anyway, try telling them to pronounce a very soft "f".

7. VickyA Senior Member

Spain - Spanish
    You can also tell them to pronounce it like the French "v".
    I think they'll know what you mean.

Good luck!

8. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    I think you mean press the upper teeth against the lower lip.:)

9. Agró

Agró Senior Member

High Navarre
    Spanish-Navarre
    Exactly. Sorry. What a burro I am.

10. eioesd New Member

English
    YES .
    Tell them to press the upper lip against the lower teeth and let the air flow smoothly.
    Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.