pronunciation: fiancé and fiancée

Discussion in 'English Only' started by curlyboy20, Jun 24, 2009.

1. curlyboy20 Senior Member

Lima, Peru.
    Peruvian Spanish.
    Greetings to all,

I have a question about the pronunciation of the words "fiancé" and "fiancée". I think both words are pronunced the same (fee-AN-say) but a colleague at works says that "fiancée" is pronunced (fee-AN-see), but I don't think that's correct.

Any input will be very much appreciated!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  2. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Fiancé/Fiancée is a French word and as such is subject to bastardization by English speakers.

Because I have a nodding acquaintance with the French language, I say "fee-ahn-SAY."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2009
  3. xqby

xqby Senior Member

Santa Maria, CA
    English (U.S.)
    They have the same pronunciation; I think both fee-an-SEY and fee-AN-sey are permitted.
    Your colleague doesn't know what they're talking about.

4. curlyboy20 Senior Member

Lima, Peru.
    Peruvian Spanish.
    I was pretty sure the pronunciation was the same for both words since I have never heard either one pronounced differently than the other one. Thanks!

5. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    The colleague is undoubtedly trying valiantly to apply logic to pronunciation of (foreign) words in English. :D The precedent being , for example, em-ploy-ee which has two e's at the end, just "like" fiancee.

6. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Fiancé/Fiancée are pronounced in exactly the same way in English.

As, indeed, they are in French...

7. curlyboy20 Senior Member

Lima, Peru.
    Peruvian Spanish.
    Right, I knew they were pronounced the same in French and I didn't think there would be any difference in English. And I agree with Julian Stuart, foreign words in English seem to be pronounced as closely as possible as they are pronounced in the language English is borrowing the word from.