1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  2. The WordReference Forums are under attack from some Korean spammers.

We have created a filter that requires moderation intervention for all messages with Korean characters from new users. The impact should be minimal, but posts from new users will only appear after a few minutes delay.

Pronunciation: Gangnam

Discussion in '한국어 (Korean)' started by Youngfun, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    Annyeong haesseyo!

In the famous song "Gangnam style" I can hear the singer Psy pronounces "gang-dam".
    Is it the normal pronunciation to insert a "d" sound after "ng"?

Thank you.

2. Helllo, Youngfun.

No, it's definitely gang-Nam to my ear. (Pronouncing 사나이 was quite weird though)

3. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    Well, I've listened to it again, it seems to me that sometimes he says gang-Nam, sometimes something like gang-Dam.
    The first time I heard the song, I thought it was "Gundam style" LOL.
    On the internet you can find a lot of parodies, such as "Open condom star". :D I think many non-Korean speakers heard a D in between...

What's 사나이?

4. 사나이 means a man. (rarely used word)

5. arirawr New Member

Russian + English
    Korean N (ㄴ) sometimes sounds similar to a D to non-Koreans. It is especially obvious with the word 네 - many Koreans pronounce it kind of like 'de' rather than 'ne'. If you experiment a little with your mouth movement and try to say 네 while exhaling rather than inhaling you could find that n/d sound that's so common for native speakers. Interestingly enough, most Koreans don't seem to notice that difference in sound at all.

Another example would be ㅁ being pronounced somewhat close to a B. Words like 미안하다 and 믿다 can often be misheard as BIANhada and BIDda by foreigners.

6. trtl115 New Member

korean
    사나이 means not just a man, it means a manly, young, and strong man.

And it is still widely used in Korean.

But this word is often used in a sarcastic or comedic way, too.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. durestudios New Member

English
    If you listen to most singers they pronounce words incorrectly or the way they want to to rhyme.
    So I hear ya, I hear the slight 'd' so it sounds like Gangdam style.
    But he's saying Gangnam style. It's normal to hear it. I hear it too, and my native language is Korean.

8. liberal lilac Junior Member

Seoul
    Korean
    Gang sounds "gɑŋ" and nam sounds "nɑm".

Think "a" when you say Lady "Gaga". It's quite close.