Pronunciation of عقل

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by TheFriendlyArab, Mar 11, 2012.

1. TheFriendlyArab Junior Member

United States
    English
    Hey forum. I've been thinking about the letter ع as well as ق (but mostly ع) and it seems I'm having trouble producing the sound in certain cases. It seems almost impossible to pronounce ع with certain letters with short vowels or no vowels in between. Does the sound of the ع get softened to the point where it sounds like a hamza? I can't understand how a human being can possibly sound this word out without adding some vowel in between the ق and the ل. I guess what I'm asking is, are there instances where ع is articulated differently? I just really hate the sound of a bunch of guttural letters jumbled together, resulting in one of my least favorite words مقطع...Well, it's not like the language is going to change for me.

2. Muwahid

Muwahid Senior Member

الغرب
    U.S. English
    Are you using the right part of your throat? In my experience the same part of the throat you use to make the ح you use make the ع, with the back of your tongue hitting the pharynx. I guess you could say it sounds like a hamza when it has a sukoon over it.. like in the word يعتبر or something, but the positioning of your tongue is different than if it were a hamza. Once you're confident you know how to pronounce the ع it's just a little bit of practice. When it's the last letter like in مقطع it can feel a bit awkward but just listen to it a bunch of times and you should get the hang of it.

Best advice I can give is really make sure you're using the right part of your throat, and the right positioning of the tongue, I remember trying to train myself to roll R's, I could trill once but nothing more, a word like برّا would be quite frustrating, but I shifted my tongue half a centimeter and it's a piece of cake now.. all these guttural sounds are totally possible for anyone to do with practice! In any case it's not like all Arabs pronounce it the same, some go wild with their عayns, very strongly articulated, others it's much more relaxed. :)

3. TheFriendlyArab Junior Member

United States
    English
    I guess that the letter is really straining and can impede the flow of speech which I think can be problematic when singing (in general, I can't sing...). But I often hear the ع pronounced softly as if it's almost a hamza and it sounds nicer that way in that case (in my opinion). About that tongue thing, I don't think I move it to the side but just move it back. Then again I learned all the letters as a kid when learning to recite the Qur'an but hey, there's always more to learn in this world.