Pronunciation of "a" Stress vs. unstressed

Discussion in 'English Only' started by chagmagus, Jan 6, 2013.

1. chagmagus Member

India - Hindi & English
    How do I know when in a sentence 'a' should be pronounced as unstressed, and when should I stress it? Should I stress it before a vowel, and un-stress it before a consonant?

Same question for 'the'

Thanks. :)
  2. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    The articles "a" and "the" are almost never stressed.
    You might stress "the" to mean "the famous".
    In the unlikely event that someone told me "I have a neighbor named Barack Obama",
    I might ask "Is it the Barack Obama?"
    Of course before a vowel sound you will not have "a", but rather "an".
  3. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

English - US (Midwest)
    The only reason for stressing "a" that comes to mind is in somthing like the following:

"Do you have the book?"
    "I have a book, but I don't know if it's the book - which one do you mean?"
  4. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

With all respect to Cenzontle, there are lots of possible contexts in which a stress is needed, though admittedly more often with the definite ("the") than with the indefinite ("a") article.

"Do you have a set of spanners?" "Well I have a spanner". This stresses the (grammatical as well as physical) singularity of the spanner.

"Do you live next to a Barack Obama?" "I live next to the Barack Obama".

Note that (at least in BrE the pronunciation of the vowel will change: emphatic "a" rhymes with "hay", "may" &c. Emphatic "the" is identically pronounced with "thee".
  5. Scholiast

Scholiast Senior Member

Greetings once more

With reference to chagmagus' query (#4):
    In "The ashes...", the word "the" is not stressed. The lengthened pronunciation of the vowel is because the next word begins with a vowel.
  6. chagmagus Member

India - Hindi & English
    Thanks. Finally, I know the truth. :D
    So I suppose if the next word is a consonant then 'the' would be a 'shortened pronunciation'?
    Does the same go for 'a'?
  7. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    'The ashes' would normally be /ðɪ ˈæʃɪz/. The 'the' can still be stressed to produce /ˈðiː ˈæʃɪz/